Next Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zixxer10R

Reaction score
As my signature suggests, i'm now taking open suggestions for my next brew. I'm looking for something crisp for summer (perhaps something like the AK47 IPA from NB) that is relatively cheap to get all the ingredients. I'll need an extract recipe.

I'd like to spend less than $35 on the whole she-bang. I figured instead of thread jacking and telling people to look at my sig i would just solicit opinions on this dedicated thread.

I've done a very simple hefe with 2 cans of wheat LME, wyeast 3638, and a single tettenanger bittering addition. It netted me less cost than that, very simple brew, really quick turnaround from boil to glass, and tasty for how ridiculously easy it was.

That or a 4.5-5% wit beer. Ingredients for that should be fairly cheep. Look on line for a good extract recipe.

This Honey Weizen is pretty cheap and has great reviews. Technically it could be done for even cheaper if you buy the 6 lbs of wheat extract separately from them, and get your own honey elsewhere. I think I might do this one next and I'm planning on getting this really great local raw honey from the farmer's market. (The honey is added to the boil, so raw should be fine).

A good Wit is hard to beat for simplicity, cost, and great tasting in the heat. Haven't done extract in a long time but I'd imagine it is a breeze as well. Good luck on whichever you go with.

The American Wheat kit from Northern Brewer is a good option. I just bottled mine, it smelled great a bottling and tasted pretty good warm and flat. I'll open the first tester to check carb and taste early next week. The AK47 kit is on my list of cheap brews to try too. Probably brewing that one in a few weeks.

WBishop, i'll be your guinea pig for the AK47. I think i'm gonna get that today so that by next weekend i'll have something to fill my primary with.

Let me know how it turns out. I'm hoping for something tasty for me and not 'too homebrewy' for my BMC friends.

Just received 2 northern brewer kits. Speckled heffer and dead ringer. Both clones a Lil more $ but they should be good. Ak47 is on the list too.

Just received 2 northern brewer kits. Speckled heffer and dead ringer. Both clones a Lil more $ but they should be good. Ak47 is on the list too.

I've also been trying to figure out what to do next, mainly because my brother (my brew partner) really doesn't like too many different things and I'm having a hard time finding something he'd enjoy.

The name Speckled heifer jumped out at me. I went to check it out, and hot damn, it sounds perfect! Only 8 reviews, but all high praise. I'm getting the partial mash version and giving it a whirl. Sounds great for summer too.

Well, i was gonna order it today but turns out i'm $12 in the hole at the moment. And i don't get payed until July 1st.

Just brewed the heffer, temps were tough to match but think it will be successful more to report in 4 weeks. Smells good.

Just brewed the heffer, temps were tough to match but think it will be successful more to report in 4 weeks. Smells good.

Yeah, let us know. I just ordered the heifer today along with a mild. Hope to brew one or the other by Saturday.

Let me know how it turns out. I'm hoping for something tasty for me and not 'too homebrewy' for my BMC friends.

WBishop, ended up going with the AHS Apocalypso instead but the AK47 will be next for sure as i fear i'm about to kick my St. Arnold's Elissa IPA any day now. I've been hitting that keg pretty hard, the brew was incredibly delicious. It ended up impressing the hardest calloused of my BMC friends so much that they nearly swore off that nasty swill.

Good on you Zix. My weekend was far less busy than expected and I brewed both the Tripel and the AK47. Though I screwed up and in a pinch ended up using my 5 gal carboy as a primary for the AK47, yeah, blowoff tube was in order. Fermentation has slowed and I'm not getting any more fizz or gunk blowing out of the air lock.

I took it apart and sanitised it all again. Hopefully I didn't screw it up. I'll holler in a few weeks once I get to taste it.

Looking forward to the mini-review of that AK47. I'm hoping it's more like an APA so that it's a tad more drinkable in the sun. In the vein of a lawnmower type but with the nice fresh grass punch in the face i like about pale ale.

I made the AK47 this spring and it went faster than any other brew I've made. It is just so light and drinkable. If you are looking for something similar to an APA, this isn't it. It has a nice hop balance, but since it is all East Kent Goldings, you don't really have a lot of the citrusy, piny notes of most APAs. Think more along the lines of a Boddington's or a lighter version of London Pride.

With that said, I don't see how you wouldn't enjoy it. For such a light beer, it actually has quite a bit of flavor and is super drinkable.

Opened my first bottle of the AK-47 last night. It's a winner. Definitely prefered over the american wheat I have in the fridge.

Taste wise, I'd call it a lighter version of Smithwicks. Saluki might be dead on with his review, but I've never had his comparisons, Smithwicks is the closest I've tasted. Right now AK-47 is top of the list for a fast turn around sinfully cheap pipeline filler. I washed the yeast from the first batch so have 3 starters in the fridge ready to go. Yay!

You know, i usually only have Smithwicks (Smith-icks as the Irish call it, dunno why though) during the St. Patty's day hubub but i've got to admit that a nice cold Smithy sounds pretty good right now.

Saluki, would you tend to agree with WBishop's assessment?

Back