HUGE! mistake with salt additions to water what should i expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I added some CaCl2 and some NaCl to some tap water diluted with RO water. However instead of adding it in grams my scale reset and I didnt catch it untill 15 min left in the boil. This is for a standard blue moon clone and this is my water profile now. What should I expect this to taste like. I hadded pH 5.2 to the mash as well

water profile

(Ca ppm) 189,
(Mg ppm) 2,
(Na ppm) 253,
(Cl ppm) 694,
(SO4 ppm) 34,
(CaCO3 ppm) 14

Where are you in the process? I am afraid with those levels of Na and Cl you are going to be able to taste it. (The 5.2 will add some Na as well.)

I added oz as opposed to g. Cooled it down and tasted it. It taste like a wit being served in a glass made of salt. I had no hope for it so down the drain and start over. I'm now on the Mash of 2nd batch hope this goes better.

Yeah, I was afraid you would be able to taste it. If you had pitched the yeast, I would have said let it go, but I think starting over was best in this instance.

I had something similar happen to me once. I added the salts for 20 gallons as opposed to 20 quarts. Luckily the salts I was adding have a fairly high threshold and beer came out drinkable.

i tasted it and man was it salty. I have never been one for salt in my beer and because i only have 1 free carboy at the time and i really wanted a hefe the worms got it.

was it really that salty? I mean, i think palmer recommends 0-250ppm....

chloride is the one that's really spiked...

In the future, if that happens again, just brew up another batch of the same beer without any salts and blend them before fermentation. Seems like then it would balance out all the additions and you would end up with 10 gallons of (hopefully) good beer.

Latest posts

Back