Banana wine help please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZuiQuan

Reaction score
I just started a batch of banana wine and have some questions...

My original gravity was 1.120, and I used Red Star Cotes de Blanc Champagne Yeast. On my hydrometer it says the estimated ABV is 18%. Does anyone know if Cotes de Blanc will go all the way to 18% ABV? I think I might have read somewhere that it will finish at around 14-15%

What I should expect my final gravity to be, and also how to calculate ABV using original and final gravities?

Here's my recipe:

2gal water
2lbs bananas
juice from 2 oranges
1 sliced lemon
5lbs sugar
yeast energizer
yeast nutrient

I added bananas,orange juice & lemon to the water and brought to a boil, then simmered for 30 minutes. Then I removed it from the heat and added the sugar. Once the must cooled to around 80degrees, I added the nutrient,energizer & yeast.

It took about a day and a half but now the airlock is bubbling like mad.

Lastly, I took the recipe from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006AYY2O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The book doesn't say how long this needs to age. It just says to let ferment for 21 days, the rack to a secondary until clear. Any ideas how long I should let it go. Probably at least 1 year right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cotes de blanc isn't champagne yeast to my knowledge. Champagne yeast will go to 18% if happy. I'm not sure about cotes de blanc.

For aging and racking guidance, check out my banana wine recipe.

tasted mine yesterday and it is way better than the first batch at this stage. will bottle soon .. don't plan on back sweetening at all... It needs JUST a little and I think aging will be enough.

Cotes de blanc will only go to about 13%. you need a stronger yeast for 18%. you can let it ferment out, then add a neutral champagne yeast, like montrachet, to get it the rest of the way up without changing the flavor profile

Cotes de blanc will only go to about 13%. you need a stronger yeast for 18%. you can let it ferment out, then add a neutral champagne yeast, like montrachet, to get it the rest of the way up without changing the flavor profile

If Cotes de Blanc will only go to around 13% will it end up more of a sweeter dessert wine? Would this be OK, or should I find a champagne yeast that will ferment it dry?

I've never actually had banana wine, but a banana dessert wine doesn't sound like a bad thing.

I've never made any wine before so I'm not sure what to expect.

Back