Let's hear your "crazy stout" ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsleftofyou

Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Every winter my neighboring homebrew club has a "crazy stout" competition. It's definitely *not* BJCP, but more like a chili contest. Beers are judged based on flavor, aroma, etc as well as creativity. This is a fun one since these are almost always one-off "shot in the dark" beers. Previous entries have included:

-Spruce imperial stout
-PB&J sweet stout
-Cherry vanilla sweet stout
-Cardamom stout
-Saison stout (think "black saison")
-Blackberry peppercorn stout
-Stout with 40% smoked malt

What would you brew?

I was thinking about a Stout Lager, does such a thing exist? someone must have a black lager, but I have never heard of one.

And possibly a milk chocolate, Also loved a recent post about a Nutella stout, been thinking about this too.

I'm brewing a rye pumpkin stout this weekend.

It's basically an oatmeal stout with 10% flaked rye and some pumpkin spices (allspice, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg) added into the secondary. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Ovaltine stout?
Caramel/smoked malt stout?

Or how about using extra pale malt,with some oats for body,coffee beans for that roasty flavor,cocoa nibs,licorice and finally topped off with english hops and aged in scotch barrels!Great idea huh?

Wait a minute.

Damn you Greg Koch!

do ancho/habanero ;)

I did ancho/guajillo, cinnamon, cocoa, and vanilla bean. I thought it turned out really well. I like the lower heat peppers because you can add enough to get pepper flavor in addition to a bit of burn.

I did ancho/guajillo, cinnamon, cocoa, and vanilla bean. I thought it turned out really well. I like the lower heat peppers because you can add enough to get pepper flavor in addition to a bit of burn.

I love both the hotter and milder peppers. I've found that using just hot only gives you the back of the tongue burn and not enough flavor... so with habanero, which is pretty earthy, I like combining it with ancho or new mexico (guajillo would be great too). For something cleaner like serrano or jalapeno, I like using a clean milder pepper like panca. A 2-3 pepper combo is lovely.

I'm two batches into figuring out the correct balance for a Thai stout. Thai tea is usually a blend of thai tea leaves and condensed milk poured over coffee or regular tea. It is pretty different from chai tea. So far, I have one batch that mashed too low and didn't have enough body, and a 2nd which had too much thai tea which is a little overwhelming.

I'm two batches into figuring out the correct balance for a Thai stout. Thai tea is usually a blend of thai tea leaves and condensed milk poured over coffee or regular tea. It is pretty different from chai tea. So far, I have one batch that mashed too low and didn't have enough body, and a 2nd which had too much thai tea which is a little overwhelming.

That's really interesting. Did you post a thread on it?

BBQ Stout, use some smoked malt, maybe two pounds which would stand up and just give a hint of smokiness, barbeque spice rub (minus the salt), and put like a pound of dark brown sugar and maybe some molasas in as part of your fermentables.

Alright people, be careful with your crazy stout ideas. Last night, my aunt brought a friend to my party, I offered him a stout, which is was quite excited to try, as he was putting the glass up to his lips, I told him he might taste some chocolate (usually I allow people to guess the secret ingredient) He turned to me with saucer for eyes and told me he is highly allergic to chocolate.

So, ask if any one has any allergies before serving a raspberry, nut, chocolate, whatever stout...

Close call!

I do a Chocolate mole porter, so doing it as a stout is a possibility one day, but not necessarily "special" to me now.

But I think of the list I would do maybe the smoked stout, but I don't know If I would go 40% rauch though.

A coconut stout has been on my "to brew" list for a couple of years now, it's an old hbt member's recipe, from on here.

Huh, I just realized, it's been nearly 5 years since I brewed a stout, I guess I have to do one soon.

I'm actually tinkering with the idea of doing some sort of soured stout with fruit.

Oatmeal stout base
Cherries, Raspberries or Blueberries
Ferment with a regular ale yeast
Inoculate with Wyeast's Roeselare blend
maybe some oak cubes too

Love the ideas.
I have always wanted to do a chocolate stout with some type of pepper or something to give it a nice spicy flavor, but not tongue burning.
I just cant decide what peppers to use and how much.
I want the flavor to be similar to the Lindt Chili Chocolate bar.

I do a Chocolate mole porter, so doing it as a stout is a possibility one day, but not necessarily "special" to me now.

But I think of the list I would do maybe the smoked stout, but I don't know If I would go 40% rauch though.

A coconut stout has been on my "to brew" list for a couple of years now, it's an old hbt member's recipe, from on here.

Huh, I just realized, it's been nearly 5 years since I brewed a stout, I guess I have to do one soon.

I've been curious about a mole beer, sounds delicious

That's really interesting. Did you post a thread on it?

No thread yet. I figured I'd work out a good recipe first and then share. So far its been a fairly tricky process. You don't want to boil the tea as that can cause some unwanted bitterness, so you have to make the tea and then add it at flameout. Also, since the thai coffee/tea drinks have the evaporated milk in them, I've been adding about a pound of lactose. No real problem there, but it does add to things to keep track of.

i want to make a coconut rum porter. i suppose it could be a stout.

i was thinking of using some coconut and molasses in the boil and then in secondary add some more coconut and oak cubes soaked in rum.

im making a banana dunkelweizen soon so depending on how that turns out i may thing about adding bananas to the coconut rum beer.

Black lagers: Schwarzbier, Baltic Porter (usually)

I see what you're saying, though. :mug:

Also munich dunkle, franconian dunkle, black czech lagers, dark american lager and tropical stout (usually).

Either way the tropical stouts are actually stout lagers but they have almost no roasted malt. To me they are basically a big baltic porter that is darker. I think Lion and Dragon are both lagers, don't quote me on that.

I just bottled my attempt at a Mexican Imperial Stout, based on your recipe (thanks for that--also thanks to Hunahpu's for inspiration), yesterday. I went with the 3 low-heat mole poblano peppers (ancho, pasilla, mulato); I was leaning toward all ancho/pasilla as Cigar City does, but didn't have quite enough on hand so I filled it out with mulato. It's obviously not carbed yet, but the samples taste really good--there's a nice pepper flavor with some low heat, but it's not obviously a chili-centric beer.

To the 4.75 gallon batch's secondary I added:

1.2 oz anchos
.8 oz pasilla
.5 oz mulato
(Weights are after de-stemming and de-seeding)
2 vanilla beans, split and scraped out (bean, innards and all added)
3 oz cocoa
5.5 grams cinnamon

Base beer:
68% marris otter
11% flaked oats
7% UK chocolate malt
7% roast barley
4% carafa II
3% Crystal 120
OG 1.103 FG 1.031
Fuggles to 45 IBU (3.75 @60min, .75@15 min, .5@1 min)
Safale US-05
4 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary on the additions listed above, bottle (carb to 2.1 volumes).

I did the Stout Butt in Radical Brewing.
#15 Brown Malt
#2.5 6 Row
5oz of Fuggles

It was the second worst mash/sparge I ever had. It looks like it is coming along. I might turn it into a Bourbon Vanilla Stout

Also munich dunkle, franconian dunkle, black czech lagers, dark american lager and tropical stout (usually).

Either way the tropical stouts are actually stout lagers but they have almost no roasted malt. To me they are basically a big baltic porter that is darker. I think Lion and Dragon are both lagers, don't quote me on that.

And when I Googled Black Lager, I see Guinness tried one as well. Not sure what came of it, it was for Ireland only at the time.

Back