How do you improve on lacing and head retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shohog

Reaction score
I brewed all grain method Bee Cave Robust porter several months ago and the lacing sucked and head retention was poor. The brew tasted fantastic but just seemed lacking with out the proper lacing and head that should have been there. I do not wash my glasses in the dishwater. I have never had this problem when brewing IPA's only happens with the porter and stouts I have brewed all grain method. Does anyone know why this might be happening to my stout/porters?

I sometimes add a 1/4 lb or so of wheat malt if I have some left over. Doesn't hurt the flavor at all.

Try adding some flaked grains such as oats, rye, wheat or barley. A half a pound of carapils or dextrine malt works great as well.

What was your mash temp. for the Porter?

I have never had this problem when brewing IPA's only happens with the porter and stouts I have brewed all grain method. Does anyone know why this might be happening to my stout/porters?

Hops contribute significantly to lacing and head retention....

I did single infusion method for 90 min at 153 F. Got 80% effeciency. I think I will add some flaked oats next time.

I've read that a protein a rest can help this tremendously. I've never done it and have no real advice, but maybe someone else with experience will chime in.

Without getting to complicated, clean your glassware by hand and rinse thoroughly.

+1 to the 1/4lb of wheat. I just started throwing that into my last batch on advice from my LHBS. Looking forward to the results.

EDIT: www.basicbrewingradio.com has a podcast that talks about beer foam in their archives. I just started listening and it sounds like solid information.

on oats....i've read that they increase head retention and have also read that they cause problems with head retention (due to high lipids). personally, my experience has been the latter.

flaked barley ftw.

Hops contribute significantly to lacing and head retention....

hmm... I was under the impression that hops take away from head retention. The high AA oils break down the head-forming proteins.

Also, did you allow for a good conditioning period? I can't say for an IPA, but I've done an amber ale a few times that has had dramatic improvement of head with an extra 2 weeks in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back