How long do beer kits stay fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcoldone

Reaction score
I purchased a few kits that I plan on brewing and every time I go to MLHBS or look on here something else catches my eye that I want to brew next. I'm about ready to get another bucket or carboy for a primary, but for now I only have one. With that said, I have three kits that are gonna be sitting for a few weeks. I was curious if these will still be fresh? Or how long do they stay fresh? I might be forced to get another primary, which is not a bad thing!Thanks.

weeks of wait is fine. months of wait is iffy. years of wait are a big no no. beware the dusty box.

Nice. I have an Amber that will be sitting for 4 weeks before brew day. So it sounds like it should be fine. I just need to stay outta the recipe forum and MLHBS until these are completed.

Ever wonder how long that kit was sitting in the shop before you bought it?

I think a few weeks is nothing. Even a few month should not be a problem if everything is packaged properly. Store the hops and yeast in the fridge.

Years could be a big problem. It is possible for botulism to grow on LME. I have a super old can that has swollen. I should probably throw it away.

I just inherited an old kit from 1999. Came with light malt extract and rice malt extract that is 10 years old now. I decided to be adventurous and make a batch of beer with both of these.

I noticed the cans did not bulge on either end so I figure they would be okay. Anyway, I opened them up and decided to taste them. To my utter surprise they tasted like raisins and plums, each of them. And they were very dark in color.

Well I just harvested a bunch of wild apples and decided I would try to make an apple, cinnamon, dark brown sugar, 10 year old malt beer. It is extremely sweet and therefore I am going to have to age it another couple months but I will keep updated on how the flavor turns out when it is all said in done.

That all being said, I say it is never too old to use.

I had a Christmas kit from 08 that I brewed a month or so ago. I tasted it this week... I will probably be setting it aside for another year. lol

Back