Using molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure but I have some laying around I want to use. Id use it in a porter.

I almost used some in my stout i just did, but decided against it. I was going to throw it in during the last 15 min, but I dont really have a reason for it, just sounded like a good time.

Probably dosent need to be boiled, has very high suagr content of course which makes it hard for anything to live in it. Although I doubt boiling it would hurt though.

When I bottle my next brew I might throw some in a glass with some yeast and see what it ferments like.

I had some in the cabinet and used it in my coffee stout. I just added it to the boil.
Not sure if it was the right way ,but the stout turned out great .
Didn't last long though ,need to brew it again.

Molasses is great in some beers. Use sparingly because it does impart its own little flavor footprint. Mosher says a little about its use in "Radical Brews", and I think Palmer also has a tad to say about it.

Experimental Porters, stouts, barley wines, old ales, bitters, maybe scotch ales, the maltier heavy and sweet beers should stand up well.

A black Belgian might be a good funky beer to put it in.

I've used it in stouts. I add about 1/4-1/2# during the last couple minutes of the boil. I like what it adds to the flavor and aroma as long as it's in the background...just a seasoning.

I've added 8 oz to two beers (a porter and a stout). It needed some extra aging to smooth out the flavors it imparted, but once it had been in the bottle for about 4-5 weeks (maybe it was a bit longer, I don't remember), it was quite delicious. Try it!

Back