The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Punity said:
Go Sounders!!

You know, before you started posting on this thread I was wondering when we would get a Seattle fan on here since there are 3 or so Portland regulars. Sunday should be interesting.

I also hear that Timbers Army has a special tifo planned.

Derby matches always spawn awesome tifo but both Portland and Seattle take it to the next level.

The two best outside Cascadia that immediately come to mind are Chicago's Section 8 doing a moving Mario Brothers display and LA's Angel City Brigade doing a moving display of Smurfs fleeing in terror from Mike Magee in a keeper kit. If you know anything of #mikemageefacts, The Highlander, or basically awesome stories from the 2011 season, you'll know why that's awesome.

Its to.bad i have to work. I want to be at that game so bad. I love the rivalry here between us portland and now the Whitecraps. Makes the mls better.

Timbers billboard in Seattle...

timbersbillboard.jpg

Punity said:
Always like Portland a year behind.

The billboard is from a year ago. They put it up (IIRC) pretty close to CenturyLink shortly before Portland opened their inaugural season.

I know still throwing it up though as look what we did. Haha dont worry we'll pat you on the head and tell u did good. God i love rivalries

Boy, Italy v England was an exciting game.

That was a strange one!! The first 25 mins was end to end and either side could have scored, and then for some reason England decided to keep giving the ball away cheaply and never stopped doing it! Italy were all over England from 25 mins on, yet couldn't hit a barn door with a shotgun. England 's defence were fairly good, but Italy's back four were terrible, so despite Italy being the far better side, it was always possible for England to steal a win despite being nowhere good enough.

With Italy missing every opportunity they had, for the first time in forever, I thought England might actually win a penalty shoot out! :D

Had England won, they would not have gone any further in the competition, but then again, I don't think Italy will either. England made them look better than they are by playing crap. Nothing new there then! :mad:

Had England won, they would not have gone any further in the competition, but then again, I don't think Italy will either. England made them look better than they are by playing crap. Nothing new there then! :mad:

Yeah, neither of them would have stood a chance in the semis playing the way they did today.

Ugh yeah not a great euro match.

Cascadia was a good one, though.

Watching RBNYvDCU. CRAZY start... goal and a crossbar in the first two minutes.

Cascadia was a good one, though.

Finally the Timbers go all in for a match. I had no idea Seattle were such divers but I guess the chant "They're flat, they're round, they flop across the ground Seattle Flounders" should have tipped me off. :ban::rockin::ban:

See you again Portscum. Came out slow and paid for it. Oh well on to 4 straight open cups.

Punity we're not out of the Open Cup yet, next match is tomorrow. Plus we have two more chances to get back at Portland, one of those being at home. We can still bag the Cascadia Cup again this year. We've just got to pull ourselves up and start winning, the defense needs to get their crap together, and getting Gspurning back would be nice too.

Its to.bad i have to work. I want to be at that game so bad. I love the rivalry here between us portland and now the Whitecraps. Makes the mls better.

Just now? I know Seatrolls have a lot of new bandwagoners, but the Cascadia rivalries are definitely a bit older than just now.

dwarven_stout said:
Just now? I know Seatrolls have a lot of new bandwagoners, but the Cascadia rivalries are definitely a bit older than just now.

I think he means since the MLS era. But yeah, Cascadia has been a three-way rivalry since 1975

I think he means since the MLS era. But yeah, Cascadia has been a three-way rivalry since 1975

Who knows what he means. Most Seattle fans don't remember (or don't know) that soccer existed anywhere before 2009.

The Cup itself is only 8 years old. The rivalries go back all the way. My grandpappy has an autographed 1975 Timbers team picture. Stretches across a decent bit of the attic wall. Soccer city!

Man, I hope someone got a picture of me stumbling around NHC club night in a "SOUND PROOF" Timbers scarf. I didn't think to take one.

I also wish I remembered the name of the Sounders fan at club night who told me I could wear his scarf after the Sounders won. I told him I'd do the same for him, and I don't want him to miss out!

Yes i know that the rivalry goes back farther then a few years. But dont you think its better now that its nationally recognized. USL could have been cool but im to young and only moves to the states when i was a teenager so i guess i grew up on the real "football". So its nice to have this heated rivalry that adds legitimacy to the sport here in america. And im sure all Timbers fans have been rooting for them since they were born no bandwagon fans allowed.

Im really hoping that the league office overturns monteros red card and punishes the Portland flopper

Seattles' frustration continues. Expect some roster changes, even before the MLS, Seattle's front Office does not like to loose and they will act.

I hope so injuries havent helped either. Why ianni isnt starting is mind boggling. Its ok though hot start with a cool off im not worried theyll turn it around(i hope) haha

Whoa Ianni didn't start even after his mid-week wundergoal? Unacceptable. If I were a Seattle supporter I would demand Sigi's head.... much like I was about to demand Bruce Arenas head after a dismal April and May.

No Ianni didn't come into the game till late in the first half. And then brought some passion and spark. Im not to the calling for sigis head haha just wondering when someones going tp step up and be a leader on the team.

No Ianni didn't come into the game till late in the first half. And then brought some passion and spark. Im not to the calling for sigis head haha just wondering when someones going tp step up and be a leader on the team.

Give Montero time.... his normal pattern is to spend the first 3rd of the season being invisible, followed by a promising middle 3rd, and finishing the season with an out-of-control run that could rival any player of any league.

Im really wanting gespurrning(crazy spelling) to come back and be what keller was to the team. Eddie johnson needs to step it up as well.

Im really hoping that the league office overturns monteros red card and punishes the Portland flopper

Montero was shoving after every play, he worked hard for the red I think he deserves to keep it.

Joker said:
Montero was shoving after every play, he worked hard for the red I think he deserves to keep it.

Thats on the ref for not squashing it early. Dont wait till the end of the game to start handing out reds. Especially from some crappy acting.

Montero and that ref had something personal going on. They were chippy with each other throughout the match. There were a couple times prior I thought Salazar was going to shove Montero as they were nose to nose a couple times. But no cards for those. Then if you look back when the pillow fight starts, Who does Salazar grab? Yup Freddie.

Let's wish em luck tonight, they'll need it. I'm hoping their season doesn't go up in smoke...

Montero likes to push the limits which i like, but dont get ticky tacky with cards that ruins your Rep, oh well on to the 4th straight.

I have to cheer for Seattle tonight because... well, ya know.... Smurfs are evil and all that business. :D

But it'll be interesting to see how Seattle fares in their first USOC away match since joining MLS.

Tonights predictions (click match-ups for link to Live Streams):

Philadelphia Union 3 - 1 Harrisburg City Islanders (USL Pro) 4:30pm PDT

5:30pm PDT

Chivas USA 2 - 1 Charlotte Eagles (USL Pro) 7:30pm PDT

San Jose Earthquakes (4) 2 - 2 (5) Seattle Sounders FC 7:30 PDT

I went with a shootout for the All-MLS match since that would be thrilling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... second match is live on YouTube... so the box is going to be there...

I'm hoping we play for the cup. More international implications

Back