Brewmigo - My All Grain Electric Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simba123

Reaction score
Brewmigo is a 5 gallon All-Grain electric brewery built from scratch using home appliances other equipment that are easily available. Total Cost to build is $900.

I named it so since it is every Brewer's dream to have a friend around and help them check/maintain temperatures and keep things in control in the different stages of brewing all-grain and not even have to access the control panel....everything in this system is wireless! See the youtube demo below.

Features of the Brewmigo are:
  • Brewmigo's brain is supported by an Arduino Uno Micro-controller. Arduino connects to the different components in the system via a shield.
  • Wireless remote allows easy setup of the system.
  • 3 PID modules for the Hot Liquor Tank, Recirculating Infusion Mash, and the Main Kettle.
  • The LCD module displays current and target temperatures along with the status of each module.
  • 2 Auxiliary component outlets which are currently used for a March Pump and an Exhaust Fan.
  • LCD also displays a clock which helps the brewer keep track of the different stages.
  • Entire system consists of stainless steel or Brass(lead-free) fixtures for easy transfer of liquid.
  • 20 plate wort chiller provides rapid cooling of wort after the boil is complete.

Components of The Brewmigo:
Arduino Uno Micro Controller: Cost to build ($100)

PID1 for HLT
Sensor DS18B20
Relay: Fotek 25Amp Relay​
PID2 for RIMS
Sensor DS18B20
Relay: Fotek 25Amp Relay​
PID3 for KETTLE
Sensor DS18B20
Relay: Fotek 75Amp Relay​
Aux1 and Aux2
Relay: Dual Channel SONGLE 10A (bought in ebay for $6)​
IR Receiver
Module 38 kHz TSOP4838​
IR Transmitter
Stole it from my wife's Sony DVD player which she uses for watching workout videos...prolly gives her more workout​
LCD Panel
Graphic ST7565 Negative LCD (128x64)​
Libraries Used
Time.h,IRremote.h,OneWire.h,DallasTemperature.h,ST7565.h​

HLT: Hot Liquor Tank (1500 Watt Element @ 120V). Raises 2.5F for 4 gallons of water in 1 minute. Cost to build ($60)

Mash Tun: Cost to build ($50)

March Pump: 809HS-PL Cost to build($200)

RIM: Recirculating Infusion Mash (1000 Watt Element @ 120V). Cost to build ($50)

Raises 1.85F for the 4 Gallon mash in 1 minute. The RIMs module is a noodle/pasta boiler bought at a local Chinese super market. The appliance consists of a 1000 watt heating element

KET: Main Kettle (5500 Watt element @ 240V). Raises 5.5F for 7 gallons of liquid in 1 minute. Cost to build ($250)

The main kettle consists of the most powerful element in this system and is supported by a 75Amp Fotek relay backed up by a huge aliminuim heat sink. The Arduino default target for this element is 210F. Once the temperature reaches (Target-1F), Arduino will switch the element on/off every 6 seconds. This seems to be the only way to control the vigorous boil.

Wort Chiller: Total cost to build ($125)
20 plate wort chiller does a real neat job of cooling 5 gallons in 2 minutes!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post, excellent work. The most informative first post I have seen, I look forward to your future upgrades. Thanks for sharing.

Great post, not like many other builds on here.
Will you provied more details on the Arduino Micro Controller and other parts used for control?

Thank you all for the feedback!!

I have updated the post so it is at the beginning.

Great post! I would also love some more details on the actual controller build, and I don't know if it is just my laptop, but I have a hard time hearing the details of your build over the soundtrack in the youtube vid.

Ok, cough up that arduino code!!!! Seriously, nice job guys, it's given me some ideas for my hybrid system (heatstick driven RIMS/Cooler MLT/Gas Kettle).

Cool build. I'm about to do something very similar to this but I never really thought about setting it up with a remote control,, but now I might. I'm looking to do something similar to Kal's theelectricbrewery.com system but replace all of the controls with an arduino uno. I figured I would implement some of the safety features Kal did and try not to leave things so mad scientist looking, especially when playing with 240V at 30amps.

I've already build a kegerator and fermentation control with an arduino uno and I also used the DS18B20 sensors like you did. I was a little concerned that the time the sensors took to read might interfere with the PID cycling of the SSR but I had previously set them to read the highest precision they could. I doubt the read time will be an issue if I reduce the precision on the temp readings.

So for the PIDs are you using set constants or are the coefficients self learning slash autotuning? Looking for a good place to start my coefficients at for the HLT, MLT and BK.

Back