My 'classy' keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purechaos

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First off I am new around here. I found this forum while doing some research to build a new kegerator.

Background
I had a fridge kegerator about 9 years ago, then i got a serious girlfirend, separated ways with my room mate nad boxed up my kegerator parts.

Recently I was trying to clear out some of the clutter in my garage/house and came across the parts from my old kegerator. I was doing some research to find the value of the parts, and tossed around the idea of revitalizing the kit.

I was concerned about not consuming the beer I put in my kegerator fast enough, so I researched and foudn that a keg on co2 would last about 6 months.

I consume at least 30 gallons of beer per year so this project was born.

I then found HBT via another kegerator equipment forum. I have a friend who home brews and I love to cook, so I thought what the hell I am going to brew my own. I havent actually started brewing yet, but have been researching the process extensively and it is in my near future.

In the mean time I need a keezer that I can use to tap my home brew, because I am a realist, and will not bottle beer ever because I am just too lazy to clean and cap all of those bottles.

The Project

I explored the possibilities of another refrigerator, but in the end I wanted something that was semi-portable, and presentable.

I decided on a keezer, and one small enough to move. I currently have an unused chest freezer but it is 20+ cu. ft., (I decided to convert this to a fermentation chamber). this freezer just wouldnt work.

After a couple of misses I scored a 7.0 cu ft whirlpool chest freezer on craigslist. The description stated not pretty but works. I paid $30 for the freezer after tessting its ability to cool.

Here is the gem I found

So the first thing I did was scrub the freezer down with 409, the freezer hadnt been in used in some time and was pretty dirty.

After this I disassemble the freezer by removing the lid, and began prepping for paint.

at this point I sanded down the whole body with 80 grit paper, and primed it.

..... since I am limited to 4 photos, and it is late I will continue this post tommorrow....

i will get them up this weekend sometime. my wife had surgery yesterday, and i am going to try to brew up 20 gallons thius weekend. so i will have to find time to squeeze it in

my wife had surgery yesterday, and i am going to try to brew up 20 gallons thius weekend.

NICE! Sounds like you are diving right in the pool and have your priorities straight. Just don't ask her to help you move the fermenters.

Perhaps an easy solution is to tap a sixtel or two w/ your existing kegging rig and then refill w/ homebrew. Then of course promptly return the commercial kegs when you are done w/ them. (flamesuit on):mug:

Excited to hear what will make this build, "classy", lol... I am picturing the freezer with a tuxedo t-shirt print painted on it!

Cheers, man... Good luck!

IP I promise I will get up some build pics this weekend. but these are the shanks i used

Shank, Tower Shank Assembly

Tower%20Shank%20Assembly.jpg

they hugged the contour of the 3" PVC great

the piece between the nut and metal portion of shank is black plastic.

I honestly didnt get many pics of the inside of the tower but can take some now if you like. i had a friend come by and help and we were pounding a few pints ;-)

I am going to break my build pics down into each section.

Base
Tower

I hope to have time tommorrow, but like i said I have a couple things going on, and have to put together a few more pieces of equipment to get brewing. I have 2 starters going right now, so to me it feels like the 11th hour :mug:

damn i just got to how to get access to the back on my build. I guess we lost interest here?

I saw the pictures in the Show us your kegerator thread, and I love the pass through tower! Just wondering how you put that all together? Was it something you got online, or did you build it from PVC? I had been thinking of doing something similar, but wasn't sure how good the PVC would work. If yours was hand built, then that looks amazing!

I was wondering how you created the logo/sticker on the front of your Keezer? Do you have a Photoshop template?

Back