Stoopid power windows/locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
So the power windows and locks in my 99 Pathfinder decided to just stop working yesterday. All the fuses work ok, and on occasion the locks will decide to work for a few minutes. Anybody have any ideas for trouble spots before I start looking for frayed wires. Why can these things never happen in the summer when it is nice outside?

I'd start looking for frayed wires where they go from the body to the door. Do any of the other switches work? Passenger door? etc? If its just the dvrs door that doesn't work(which usually works them all) then it could be the master switch on that door, or a loose connector, which the door panel usually needs to be removed..But seeing how they sometimes work on occasion, i would suggest double checking to make sure the connectors are tight...

Look around on a Nissan or pathfinder forum, I bet if you have the problem, someone else has and already figured out the issue.

My jeep had similar issues in that the power-window child lock was permanently on so you could only open/close the windows from the drivers seat. Turns out the switch in these cars was notoriously bad, and someone had worked out a writeup on how to take off the door panel, and install a simple bypass for the relay. Took me like 15 minutes to do.

I'd start looking for frayed wires where they go from the body to the door. Do any of the other switches work? Passenger door? etc? If its just the dvrs door that doesn't work(which usually works them all) then it could be the master switch on that door, or a loose connector, which the door panel usually needs to be removed..But seeing how they sometimes work on occasion, i would suggest double checking to make sure the connectors are tight...

Ya, doesn't work on all four doors. I have a suspicion that there is going to be some frayed wires going into the driver's side since that is where all the problems started.

Look around on a Nissan or pathfinder forum, I bet if you have the problem, someone else has and already figured out the issue.

My jeep had similar issues in that the power-window child lock was permanently on so you could only open/close the windows from the drivers seat. Turns out the switch in these cars was notoriously bad, and someone had worked out a writeup on how to take off the door panel, and install a simple bypass for the relay. Took me like 15 minutes to do.

Ya, did that. More people here, though, and faster response time, so I figured what the hell. I thought it might be the switch, but then all four doors stopped working. Has to be wiring somewhere

Yes, my Jeep has that same problem, and the Durango, both intermittent. Any chance you can send a link to that writeup? I can probably figure it out, but have not spent the time to open the control, and now it's getting cold out again!

Yes, my Jeep has that same problem, and the Durango, both intermittent. Any chance you can send a link to that writeup? I can probably figure it out, but have not spent the time to open the control, and now it's getting cold out again!

WHAT!? Chrysler products with electrical problems?!?! No!!!
:p

Car-based forums are lifesavers!

I have replaced 6 regulators on Volkswagens... Finest German engineering, Hencho en Mexico... And one on my Silverado... Also have a frayed splice in my Jetta's door that I have managed to half-arsed fix for the time being.... Checking in the wire loom / rubber boot between body and door for a split wire... If it is intermittent and it is affecting all four doors, it is prolly a main ground or power wire that has cracked (problem with aforementioned Jetta)...

Good luck!

:mug:

My old '92 bimmer had similar problems as it aged. The power windows stopped working due to a relay switch under the dash and the locks worked when they felt like it. Took 10 minutes and $3 to get it working again. I'd imagine on a Nissan it is as a simple as it was was on my bimmer. Like someone above mentioned check out the Nissan forums. That's where I found my answer. Also, post your solution. I have a 2001 Inifinity QX4 and in all likelyhood I will run in to this probelm soon.;)

I'd look into now motors for the Skylark, Google it, you can save a bunch, and some places will have guides to install.

Do not overlook the possibility of a bad ground, if it's all windows and locks.

Latest posts

Back