What's the Protocol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelatte

Reaction score
OK so I'm trying to think of some names and label ideas as I am getting sucked deeper and deeper into my hobby/obsession that homebrew has become.

I've finally came up with something that tickled my tongue so I google it. I yahoo it. I search for it on HBT.

What I found is that someone has already proclaimed themselves to be "that name" brewing company. The only problem is. They only posted here twice in over a year. Once to say they had signed up, and one other comment, and then vanished. They never became a HBT supporter.

That's all I could turn up on them. I sent a PM asking permission to use the name, BUT what's the protocol here if I have no response?

Am I dead in the water because of ethics or is it like a buddy's ex girlfriend. Gotta wait a reasonable amount of time before moving in? It's not like it's trademarked or anything.

:mug:

Is it like a buddy's ex girlfriend. Gotta wait a reasonable amount of time before moving in? It's not like it's trademarked or anything.

:mug:

Yeah, I think that one! I may not be the only "Broken Leg Brewery" out there, but I claim it anyway. It's mine, all mine!

I mean, you can't name yourself something like New Belgium brewery or some other recognized name, but I'd say anything else goes.

I don't think I'd be afraid to use a name that doesn't appear to be an active one...I'd say go for it.

I'd just hate to run into them on the forums.. AWKWARD.

I'll appeal to the masses though. The name is Drunken Monk. I know there's a Drunken Monk in the UK. But as far as stateside goes the only thing I can find is the guy that's posted here twice. He's posted two recipes on another site, but that's it. Once 11/2007 and the other 02/2008. No graphics, no website, no nothing.

I mean it's not like I'm going to pursue a multinational beer corporation. But at the same time i don't want to be called a cheater or copy cat (yes people still talk like that).

you may all put your aparati away. I received a pm from the person today saying it was cool. Enter cooldown phase. Crisis averted.

On second thought I may polish my aparatus before the day is done, but that doesn't have much to do with brewing.

On second thought I may polish my aparatus before the day is done, but that doesn't have much to do with brewing.

Careful with that! I was polishing my aparatus one day and it went off... That is how I ended up with four kids!

OK, so it happened four times, but who's counting?!?!?! :ban:

Latest posts

Back