Dry Hop a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billism

Reaction score
Quick question.

What would be the best way to dry-hop beer that is already kegged, without getting hops particles all in the beer?

The Kolsch I brewed tastes way too malty/sweet and it could benifit from the hops.

Thanks!

I dry hop a lot of pales in the keg. Just get a hop bag to hold the hops and drop it in. You'll need to give it a day or two to settle because you'll still get a little hop sediment. That should come out in the first glass or two.

Thanks for the replies. And should it be taken out after say a week or 2? Would there be any problem with the sack getting caught in the out-tube if I wanted to tap the keg while it is in there?

I've left hops in the keg for months, but you're probably better off removing them after a week. I've noticed a tendency to get grassy flavors after a month or so. Even if the sack gets caught, it shouldn't block the out-tube.

I did one with a stainless powdered sugar shaker and left it in the whole time I was drinking it. I did modify the shaker by drilling many small holes in it and I used whole leaf hops.

I kegged 5g of Woodfordes Great Eastern Ale with 1/2oz of bramling cross(in a modified hop sock;)),then pulled them out after 5 days to stop it getting to grassy.
Beer turned out great,a real light colour and the hop aroma was a delight to the nose.With the Bramling Cross you get a subtle fruity taste to the beer:ban: .
Not sure if i would of left the hops in there for any longer though:)

david_42 said:
I've left hops in the keg for months, but you're probably better off removing them after a week. I've noticed a tendency to get grassy flavors after a month or so. Even if the sack gets caught, it shouldn't block the out-tube.

Your kegs last a month? :drunk::D

Yeah, I'd be tieing an ounce of Saaz in a nylon knee sock (boiled for 15mins beforehand) and leaving it in the keg until you've finished it. I have never had grassy flavours from noble hops.

Back