Malt bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I'm making an oatmeal blonde.
Basically a modified oatmeal stout recipe that has been "de-stouted", no roasted flavor at all.
I'm looking for thick sweet and creamy.
Using Munich, flaked oats, and crystal 15.

But what yeast??????????
I think I have it narrowed down to three choices, but am open to suggestions still.
WLP 862
Wy 1727
S-04

Subed just cause of the title! I want a super wild matly brew with little to no hops.

Take a recipe you like and make slow changes to it instead of jumping off the deep end to something new. In this case, simply reduce the roast in a stout recipe and see what you think. If it is the right direction, next batch, reduce it more. Sounds like you want to make an amber with low hops so start there. I've done exactly that. Very little in the way of bittering and flavor hops and is aging extremely well to my taste.

If its any help, when I made malta soda I used 05. Malta if youve never had it is pretty much a non alcoholic malt bomb but also adds sugar and molasses.

US-04 would be good if you want an English yeast, I would like to recommend US-05 if you want a cleaner yeast. I have used it on several malt forward beers with great results. Try mashing warmer 155-158 to lower attenuation and leave more residual sugars to enhance the maltyness.

Take a recipe you like and make slow changes to it instead of jumping off the deep end to something new. In this case, simply reduce the roast in a stout recipe and see what you think. If it is the right direction, next batch, reduce it more. Sounds like you want to make an amber with low hops so start there. I've done exactly that. Very little in the way of bittering and flavor hops and is aging extremely well to my taste.

Hermit, do you have a recipe for this? I just made a 6 gallon batch of what I call "Mr Malty" just 9 days ago and tried it to night. No hops flavor at all. Of course to be fair I have to say I had a Pliny clone right before the taste test.

Mine is:
6# Amber MDE
16 grams of Liberty hops at 60 mins
.5t of Wyeast nutrient
1t of irish moss.

I LOVE maltyness and really am not a huge hops fan.

Hermit, do you have a recipe for this? I just made a 6 gallon batch of what I call "Mr Malty" just 9 days ago and tried it to night. No hops flavor at all. Of course to be fair I have to say I had a Pliny clone right before the taste test.

Mine is:
6# Amber MDE
16 grams of Liberty hops at 60 mins
.5t of Wyeast nutrient
1t of irish moss.

I LOVE maltyness and really am not a huge hops fan.
I'll try and remember in the morning. Buck and a half night at the local pub. Not normally an IPA fan but damned Great Lakes Alchemy Hour Double IPA at a $1.50 is hard to pass up. I'm not even sure where my American Amber recipe came from. I just cut down on all the hops addition and really like the way it turned out, especially after some aging.

I've used the White Labs equivalent of 1727 for a porter that has been well received. It is neutral, will throw off some smokey hints a lower temps, which is nice for porters, scotch and scottish ales, etc, but that take time to develop. It should give you a nice malty beverage. That being said, your grain bill is similar to what I've seen and used in bitters and esb's. For those, I prefer an english yeast, and of the english yeast I've used, I prefer WLP 006, which doesn't help you because it's a seasonal release. I prefer the lighter "malt bombs" to have some subtle yeasty/fruity character that english yeast throw out. For some reason it highlights the malt flavor for me. I would suggest starting with 1727 and, just because brewing is fun and I have yet to meet the person who has too much beer, brew it again with WLP 002 (although 006 if you can get it is my #1). I started out something similar to you, and ended up hooked on british yeast.

Back