Doppel Weizen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkslinger82

Reaction score
Im pretty new to homebrewing. I read on here that you are not supposed to secondary hefes. Would you recommend putting the doppel weizen in a secondary? The wort tasted really good... Thanks for your input.
Chris

Really the only reason to use a secondary is for clearing and aging purposes. if you are brewing a beer that is going to be cloudy no matter what then you really don't need a secondary.

Cheers

Hefe's are supposed to be cloudy, but I do a secondary on all my batches, including hefe's. Just got in that habit and it is hard to break, I guess. It really wouldn't matter if you don't do a secondary. I don't use irish moss in my hefe's either.

There's two other reasons for using a secondary with a wheat beer:

1) If you plan on bulk aging it for more than 2 months you'll want to get it off the yeast cake, in case the yeast start to autolize.

2) If you need your primary fermenter available for your next batch.:mug:

I have wanted to make a doppelweizen ever since I had Faceplant from Bayern last time I was in Montana. Problem is, I can't find a decent recipe. If yours turned out, would you mind giving a few tips?

Latest posts

Back