Second mead need some experienced advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barstar3

Reaction score
Please pardon my ignorance but I need some expert help. Making my second mead. It's a vanilla/cinnamon mead and the gravity is really low so it should be nice and crisp. I want to make it carbonated so my questions are... Its been fermenting for about 6 months. However, possibly due to moving the carboy, it isn't as clear as I would like or expect. A. can I clear it more with a cold crash or gelatin? B. Is there enough viable yeast left to simply add priming sugar to carb it? Thanks in advance for help and patience for what may be really dumb questions.

Not sure about the priming part. Post the recipe and we can let you know from there. As far as the first part, any brew will clear if given enough time. How much time has it been since you last moved it? It will clear eventually.

I knew someone would ask about the recipe. I should have gone ahead and posted it.

12 lbs wildflower honey
4 gallons water
1 tsp gypsum
1 pack champagne yeast

Brought the water to a boil then added honey. I know there is debate about whether to boil or not... kills flavor etc... cooled down to 70 degrees and pitched rehydrated yeast. OG = 1.098 Fermented 1 month then added 2 vanilla beans and 2 cinnamon sticks. Fermented another 2 months. Racked to secondary and added @ more vanilla beans and 1 cinnamon stick. Let sit for 3 more months. Final gravity 1.005 Smells/tastes wonderful! Very dry. The clarity is a secondary issue to me. I'd love for it to be sparkling clear but TASTE is what really matters. I do want to have some carbonation however. My first mead was a ginger mead that was sweet and still. It's really delicious IMO but wanted something different for this attempt. So I don't know if just priming it will work... Oh yeah, had to move it about 2 weeks ago so I'm sure that stirred up some sediment.
Thanks...

Back