whirlpool immersion chiller questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
So I built my WIC similar to what Jamil has on his website. However it doesn't seem to be chilling all that fast. I tested with 12 gallons of boiling water and here were my results:

boiling to 140 degrees-5 mins
boiling to 100 degrees-10 mins
boiling to 75 degrees- 20 mins

I noticed the whirpool doesn't spin very fast at all. Before rambling on about my set up I am curious what kind of results other homebrewers had with this kind of chilling method.

Thanks,

Mike

the cooling speed depends a lot on the temperature of the water you are using to cool.

and the speed of the whirlpool will depend on the pump you are using and how far the wort is traveling. doesn't have to spin fast though, as long as you get a decent trub pile in the kettle

A few tips:

Start with a bucket of a ton of ice and just a bit of water at the bottom. Put your pump at the bottom of the bucket, obviously. For the first 15 minutes or so (for a 5 gallon batch), don't recirculate your coolant water to the bucket with ice. You'll just melt all that precious ice. Recirculate to another bucket. As you're doing this for the first 15 minutes or so just replenish the little bit of water in your ice bucket. After that time, start recirculating to the ice bucket.

Make sure you have a decent pump. I use a March 809. Another good model is a Little Giant 4-hc-md.

Pinch the end of the return copper pipe. I think Jamil mentions this. It should help a little in creating that nice whirlpool.

The way I have mine set up, I have the return pipe returning to the top, inside of the chiller. I've timed it and that seems to chill it the quickest.

Back