Open Top Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
Hey all,
There is a open top style chest freezer for sale on craigslist near me. This is the kind of freezer that holds ice cream and what not at the grocery store. There is no lid. According to the seller there is a coil pack that runs all around the freezer so a lid isn't necessary.

Here is the link:

Open Top freezer

Do you guys think that I can use this as a fermenting vessel? I already have a temp controller that I used on a fridge that just died.

I see those freezers with icecream in them at the grocery store. they keep the stuff frozen, but the compressor is running almost nonstop

If you want to go with that, you will definatley want to fassion a lid of some type for it.

I agree with kilted tho, get a new chest freezer. the 7.2CF Magic Chef is about $200

I agree with kilted tho, get a new chest freezer. the 7.2CF Magic Chef is about $200

If you know somewhere that I can find a Magic Chef 7.2CF brand new for $200 I would sure like to know. They are discontinued and I did a pretty exhaustive google search and the only one I could find was $385 from Home Depot.

thats home depot for ya. but they are supposed to be changing the whole way of doing business. id call back and ask them again then ask to speak to a store or regional manager.

thats home depot for ya. but they are supposed to be changing the whole way of doing business. id call back and ask them again then ask to speak to a store or regional manager.

Exactly! You are the customer and the employees are there to serve you. When you can find one, that is. Talk to the manager about it and if that doesn't get you anywhere, get his name and move up the ladder if necessary.

I have run out of patience with HD. When I was plumbing my rig I wanted to use Sharkbites so I could remove the Keggles easily for cleaning. I was going past my local HD so I firgured I would stop and pick up 3 or 4 of them. I went to plumbing and couldn't find them so I asked one of their associates and the guy gave me a look like I was an idiot and said shark what? He said he never heard of such a thing. I got annoyed and was about to walk out when at the end of the isle there was a big display of guess what? I am not normally very confrontational so I grabbed what I needed, paid and said a few choice words under my breath. If I decide on the Magic Chef, I will send my wife to HD because I have had enough and just may say something I will regret.

I've found that it really depends on the specific people working a department. My HD seems to have a couple really good people in paint and in plumbing.

Back