CO2 regulator leak or ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
DSC01839.jpg
]

Purchased a used regulator. Seems to be something (CO2 or Oxygen) coming out of the hole on the top of the regulator body. Should that happen? Is it repairable by buying a new diaphragm? Should I bother?

Body is a Tap-rite older model.

ya, it has a leak. Whether or not a diaphragm will fix it or not is hard to say. I would get a P/L with exploded view before attempting to repair it. Someone might have already opened it up and to try, and not put the parts back right. The P/L will also give you part numbers to order by. Different manufactures and models can use different parts and be assembled differently. As for what type of gas is coming out of the hole it would be the same gas that is in your tank.

I finally took the regulator apart and decided that buying replacement parts with shipping was almost the same cost as taking it to LHBS (Steinbarts) for repair. They have a rather well stocked & staffed repair operation. The tech put it back together and tested it with no leaks - no charge so I think I made the right choice this time.

They're neat little devices...but pretty simple actually.

The first thing I do when I get a used regulator is to hook it to a CO2 Tank...back the set screw off all the way...and open the tank valve.

With a little soap solution...go around the HIGH PRESSURE port connections (3 o'clock, and 9 o'clock position... look for little bubbles.

Next with the soap solution...check the weep hole. Or better yet with a Cornelius regulator...just remove the 4 screws holding the cover on..and put the soap solution directly on the poppet valve--- and also around the seam between the Stainless Steel Valve Seat and the machined brass body. There's a thin gasket in there that leaks sometime. So, there should be no bubbles. If there's leaking around the poppet valve...you may need a rebuild kit to replace that. If the valve seat peice leaks...you'll have to press it out and seal it with a thin film of RTV sealant. Press it back into place while it's still wet. Let it dry and clean up any excess. (note: some manufactures have threaded seats...don't try to press these out)

That's where most of the leaks come from.

If no leak there...reassemble the Diaphram, needle valve, spring, cover...and adjust the screw to set the pressure. With it stable...check the weep hole again. If it's bubbling...your needle valve isn't seating or the diaphram has a hole in it...either way, they're parts included in the rebuild kit.

Finally, check the fittings for the Low Pressure Gauge, and the outlet port. 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.

Pay attention to the High Pressure ports on Primary regulators. They're usually Left Hand Thread. Secondary Regulators are usually Right Hand Thread.

Not much to them.

Hope that helps with troubleshooting a regulator

Did you find a fix. My friend has the same problem. He thought the cylinder was empty because no CO2 was coming out at all. Then took off the regulator and there was still CO2 in the tank. So the regulator seemed clogged. We took off the front put back on. Now the CO2 is working, but he can't get it to seal properly. CO2 is now just coming out the front hole.

Back