carbonating without sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im wondering how one goes about carbonating there beer in bottles without sugar? Im hoping to find a way to carbonate which doesnot effect the flavoring of the beer.

Thanks in advance!

-=gp125racer=-

The only alternative to adding some kind of sugar (DME/corn sugar/honey/sucrose/fructose, etc.), is to force carbonate in the keg and fill bottles with a beer gun or a counter-pressure filler.

Do you have any experience with said devices? If so, how much of a taste difference does one notice by not priming for carbonation with out sugar.

One thing Ive noticed about my extract homebrews is how sweey they are. Not sure if others have noticed this as well. Maybe its the extract itsself and not the priming sugar too.

-=gp125racer=-

There are some carbonation pills you put in each bottle, too. I'll see if I can find a link...

gp125racer said:
Do you have any experience with said devices? If so, how much of a taste difference does one notice by not priming for carbonation with out sugar.

One thing Ive noticed about my extract homebrews is how sweey they are. Not sure if others have noticed this as well. Maybe its the extract itsself and not the priming sugar too.

-=gp125racer=-

If you prime with corn sugar, it will not affect the taste of the beer. The sugar basically ferments out completely, leaving behind just gas and alcohol.

As for your homebrews tasting sweet, maybe you just need to up the bittering hops. Fermented malted barleys is going to be sweet... it's just a fact of life. The bittering hops are how you balance that sweetness out.

Not I. If I may say so, you seem to be beginning from, and ending at, a baseline assumption that the priming sugar is making your beers sweet. I don't think that most people here have had that experience or would make that assumption.

You might want to experiment with recipes before you invest in gear that may not fix your issue. You could end up spending some serious coin and still find that your beer is too sweet for your tastes.

Check the label, carbonation tablets are just sugar and much more expensive than granulated. I use them, only because I rarely bottle. Seven years and I'm still on my first bag.

What about using gyle? You could always try saving part of your wort before adding the yeast and adding that at bottling time instead of corn sugar. It's called Kraeusening (not to be confused with the foamy stuff while it's fermenting). Here's a link that describes the process more.

If i'm taking bottles of beer to a party, I will sanitise however many bottles I need, then fill a measuring jug with beer from the cornie then fill each bottle at an angle from it. Grolsch swing-tops make this easy, and there is usually about an inch of foam on top so I can cap the bottles without any oxygen staying in the bottle.

Beer guns will probably be easier but my method is good if you're on a budget. It's much easier to serve bottles without sediment at a party as you've no doubt experienced!

SteveM said:
You might want to experiment with recipes before you invest in gear that may not fix your issue. You could end up spending some serious coin and still find that your beer is too sweet for your tastes.

I agree with SteveM in looking more closely at your recipes. Try reducing the malt and adding corn sugar to the actual recipe. Too much extract dextrins can leave your beer sweet especially if you choose a yeast with a lower attuenation. Adding fermentables will help in drynig out the taste and leaving behind less dextrins.

If you choose a high gravity recipe make sure you choose a yeast capable of fermenting it .

Bumping up the bittering hops should help balance the flavor out, as well, while keeping the beer "big." This might keep it from tasting as sweet, even if the total non-fermented sugars are the same.

Sudster,

Thanks for the info, Ill have to keep that in mind for my next brew.

The pliny that I just did yesterday had 1lb of Corn Sugar in it, and 9lbs of liquid extract, Im hoping she turns out well. I got active fermentation within 12hrs with this batch, my best yet.

-=gp125racer=-

I do it all the time. I first found out about putting a raison in the bottle when talking to one of my professors about making hard cider. I figured it would work the same for beer, and I was right.

Tpaine said:
I do it all the time. I first found out about putting a raison in the bottle when talking to one of my professors about making hard cider. I figured it would work the same for beer, and I was right.

How consistant is it, and have you ever had a bottle overcarbonate (or even burst)?

I hate raisins, but was considering a cranberry ale for the holidays, and dried cranberries are pretty easy to come by, too.

-walker

mysterio said:
If i'm taking bottles of beer to a party, I will sanitise however many bottles I need, then fill a measuring jug with beer from the cornie then fill each bottle at an angle from it. Grolsch swing-tops make this easy, and there is usually about an inch of foam on top so I can cap the bottles without any oxygen staying in the bottle.

Beer guns will probably be easier but my method is good if you're on a budget. It's much easier to serve bottles without sediment at a party as you've no doubt experienced!

You're right. They'll hold decent carbonation for at least 4 hours. That's as long as they've ever lasted for me. So until I start mailing beers to competitions I'll be sticking with that method.

Hi there, Just before you add the yeast remove some wort (eg 1 liter), set aside and add when ready (after yeast finished the job ) and put that 1 liter unfermented beer back into the fermented beer then fill bottles/keg. let sit at room temperature for a week before cooling.
Worked every time for me. You just have the find the right amount of unfermented beer. the first time I did this the bottle caps did pop and had to cool bottles close to freezing.

So Z... Z... Zoooombiiiiiiieeeeesss!!!!! Means we speak English?
I was referring to the fact that the post you replied to was about 15 years old. This is often referred to as necro posting, or more commonly, a zombie thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, Just before you add the yeast remove some wort (eg 1 liter), set aside and add when ready (after yeast finished the job ) and put that 1 liter unfermented beer back into the fermented beer then fill bottles/keg. let sit at room temperature for a week before cooling.
Worked every time for me. You just have the find the right amount of unfermented beer. the first time I did this the bottle caps did pop and had to cool bottles close to freezing.

What you're referring to is priming with "Speise" (sometimes calles Gyle, i.e. unfermented wort). But you don't have to find the right amount by trial and error. There are calculators available, like this one:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/gyle-and-krausen-priming-calculator/

Oh ok, why not, since it's alive again...

What you're referring to is priming with "Speise" (sometimes calles Gyle, i.e. unfermented wort). But you don't have to find the right amount by trial and error. There are calculators available, like this one:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/gyle-and-krausen-priming-calculator/
Thanks
Things have changed since I brewed my first batch in 1994 that way. its great to have that calculator on hand.
That answer is informative and well apricated.

Back