Dihydrogen Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's hilarious (and sad) because I know that I would get a panicked forward from my sister-in-law about this "terrible chemical" that might be harming us. High school chemistry, people!

Penn and Teller did this exact some stunt with a bunch of idiot picketers for an epidode of Bull Sh*t some years ago. Definitely worthy of a few palm slaps to the forehead. Amazing how many signatures they got.

Well you know, that stuff is dangerous...

Mix it with the extract of Hordeum vulgare subsp. vulgare, boil it with some Humulus lupulus and add in some Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, or Saccharomyces Carlsbergensis, and consume enough of it, and lord knows what could happen...

You could end up with your face plastered around the web like this guy;

0h34m111.jpg

:D

I feel like we also need to free the people who are oppressed in Godwanaland

I read the title and thought "isnt that water". laughed, and then read about morons. So its not just the United States that are failing to teach there children proper science in schools

that's hilarious! Reminds me of some of the Jaywalking segments on Leno.

"Who fought in the Civil War"?

"Ummm...that was the British, right?'

I've never really seen that as 'being dumb'. Obscuring the real meaning of what you are saying behind technical language or technical sounding jargon is common. Getting people to agree with someone that carries themselves like an expert and uses language that makes them sound like an expert is frequently done. I'd be willing to guess that everyone here has been bamboozled by someone at one point or another and never realized it.

These 'water petition' don't really 'prove' anything about the relative intelligence of the participants. It just proves that, particularly when it costs you nothing, people are willing to take what people say at face value.

Well you know, that stuff is dangerous...

Mix it with the extract of Hordeum vulgare subsp. vulgare, boil it with some Humulus lupulus and add in some Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, or Saccharomyces Carlsbergensis, and consume enough of it, and lord knows what could happen...

Well done, good sir! <golf claps>

I've never really seen that as 'being dumb'. Obscuring the real meaning of what you are saying behind technical language or technical sounding jargon is common. Getting people to agree with someone that carries themselves like an expert and uses language that makes them sound like an expert is frequently done. I'd be willing to guess that everyone here has been bamboozled by someone at one point or another and never realized it.

These 'water petition' don't really 'prove' anything about the relative intelligence of the participants. It just proves that, particularly when it costs you nothing, people are willing to take what people say at face value.

It's called gullibility. And actually, I think it does prove something here: that the rest of the stuff that this particular organization (their 'Green Party') should be taken with a grain of salt given their relative gullibility on this particular issue---it ruins their credibility. So it's not just a case of obfuscating or obscuring the real meaning through technical jargon.

It's a bit more than that, IMHO. It's beyond someone convincing a person of some non-existant threat through fancy language. These people are putting their signatures on paper for a cause they instantly believe in without even a second thought. You're right that it does not indicate lack of intelligence directly, but it is a bit troubling and revealing to see people commit, in writing, to something based on one brief sales pitch and seemingly without using any critical thinking skills at all. At the very least it illustrates how meaningly signed petitions are.

What it proved is that those guys are a bunch of reactionary boobs who don't check their facts, AND make 'scientific' sounding pronouncements when they have no scientific background. I think that was the point.

I wonder how many people would want deoxyribonucleic acid banned if you told them is was the source of serious mutations?

What it proved is that those guys are a bunch of reactionary boobs who don't check their facts, AND make 'scientific' sounding pronouncements when they have no scientific background. I think that was the point.

There's no difference between that one and any number of other petitions, chain letters or oft repeated 'facts' that are complete bunk.

People frequently take things at face value, particularly when it costs them nothing to do so. This includes people of every political persuasion.

Petitions are pretty meaningless. Once someone with a petition has gotten your attention, what percentage of the time do you say "I can't agree with that, I'm not going to sign" versus when you just sign to get out of there? Most people want to avoid confrontation, so they'll just sign without thinking too much, to escape from the situation or just because they don't want to get into a debate. You can get plenty of signatures for pretty any issue as long as you have enough people with clipboards (and it helps if they're cute ;)).

Petitions are pretty meaningless. Once someone with a petition has gotten your attention, what percentage of the time do you say "I can't agree with that, I'm not going to sign" versus when you just sign to get out of there? Most people want to avoid confrontation, so they'll just sign without thinking too much, to escape from the situation or just because they don't want to get into a debate. You can get plenty of signatures for pretty any issue as long as you have enough people with clipboards (and it helps if they're cute ;)).

That's another aspect I hadn't considered before.

And all they are doing is trolling a location of people who are predisposed to hearing the type of banter that they are speaking about.

Like going to a breast cancer fund raiser and getting signatures on a petition to end women's suffrage. Cover the meaning with some doublespeak and you'll get intelligent, well meaning people signing it.

Or getting a bunch of republican politicians to pledge support for Hugo N Frye, the unrecognized hero of the Republican party. Again-- letters of support from well meaning people for a pile of nonsense.

I see a difference between duping people on the street into signing a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide and the leader of a political party 'absolutely supporting' a ban.

The average person on the street just will not make the connection between a very technical sounding term like 'dihydrogen monoxide' and H20 (water) and so will not see through the ruse. I think this is understandable, though regrettable, and can be forgiven.

It's appalling, however, when a political leader falls for this. Its shows a basic lack of due diligence and fact checking. It certainly casts doubt over all their other pronouncements.

There's no difference between that one and any number of other petitions, chain letters or oft repeated 'facts' that are complete bunk.

People frequently take things at face value, particularly when it costs them nothing to do so. This includes people of every political persuasion.

Don't see your point as it relates to the article here. The gene guys sent the H2O info to the Green types to prove that they're reactionary, uninformed idiots. I don't care either way, and I have no political bent in this issue, but to me it looks like they proved their point.

Don't see your point as it relates to the article here. The gene guys sent the H2O info to the Green types to prove that they're reactionary, uninformed idiots. I don't care either way, and I have no political bent in this issue, but to me it looks like they proved their point.

Except in the greater context of this thread that's NOT what was being discussed.

Back