Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...12% beer that has cocoa nibs, rose petals, saffron, ginger orange peel, elks blood, ostrich piss or 300 IBUS...

Is there anything on the market that has ALL of this? If not, where can I get some food grade elks blood and ostrich piss? I've got a local brewfest in 2 weeks and I'd like to enter something like this in the "Specialty" category. I think I'll call it Grossenpuken Ale. I won't be able to brew it till this weekend so a week and a half should be plenty of time, right?:cross:

I completely agree with your point, though. I don't drink most "normal" BMC products because I don't like the taste--most of them taste exactly the same. It has nothing to do with being part of a culture, or counter-culture, or whatever. It just has to do with microbreweries and brewpubs have opened my palate up to better possibilities than watered-down, over-hyped, frozen-tastebud American Lagers, a la "King of (bad) beers" Bud Light, "triple hopped" Miller Light, or the "World's most refreshing" Coors Light.

I don't mind Blue Moon. I went through the Coors brewery and Batch 19 is delicious while their Original/Banquet Beer is still gross, even fresh off the tap. I will drink a BMC "microbrew" or "specialty beer" just to try it because I'm always willing to try different beers. If it's bad, I will judge that beer on its own, not because of the parent company that makes it.

See, this is the kind of stuff that bothers me. I love craft beer as much as the next guy, maybe even more than most. But when I encounter servers and bartenders who look down their noses at people just because they happen to like light American lagers is bad for craft beer. It gives a horrible impression of snobbery to people who are uninitiated in the craft beer movement.

Meh. Context is everything, and I have a feeling that was the perfect response in this case. I'm ok with it. :mug:

Cheers!

I was at The Common Table in Dallas (well known for their craft beer selection) for brunch on Sunday and a table of obvious frat dudes (sleeveless neon shirts, backwards ball caps, etc.) sit down over by our table. They start off trying to order Bud/Miller/Coors, and with no luck they try to order Blue Moon, with the same results. Then they asked the waitress why they didn't serve lite domestics and without skipping a beat she said, "We don't sereve bad beer." She did recommend Avery White Rascal as an alternative to Blue Moon but they ended up getting mimosas.

She definitely got a nice tip from me.

I had a friend that had his own brewpub (just a 5bbl) and the waitstaff were told to say we serve only quality beers (his own) he sold the business for more time with his family respected that but still cursed that day:D:(

there will always be two sides to a fence. I do agree however that people in the service industry shouldn't look down on people because of what they drink. Regardless, theres always going to be those jerks that pride themselves on drinking for status among beer drinkers and those who truly enjoy a beer culture.

That said those people that go to a bar and are upset because there's no 12% beer that has cocoa nibs, rose petals, saffron, ginger orange peel, elks blood, ostrich piss or 300 IBUS piss me off more than the guys ordering bud light:pipe:

Is there anything on the market that has ALL of this? If not, where can I get some food grade elks blood and ostrich piss? I've got a local brewfest in 2 weeks and I'd like to enter something like this in the "Specialty" category. I think I'll call it Grossenpuken Ale. I won't be able to brew it till this weekend so a week and a half should be plenty of time, right?:cross:...
Well actually :D... I don't know where you would get elks blood, but there is a plant called dragons blood. Sedum Spurium, I'm not sure you'd want to drink anything with it in though... :drunk:

Well actually :D... I don't know where you would get elks blood, but there is a plant called dragons blood. Sedum Spurium, I'm not sure you'd want to drink anything with it in though... :drunk:

If you really want some elks blood I could probably have my dad save some for you. But you will have to hold off tell October or November.

If you really want some elks blood I could probably have my dad save some for you. But you will have to hold off tell October or November.
Haha, no thanks. Though I wouldn't mind if somebody wanted to send me some horn. I'm just learning how to make knives and elk horn makes a great handle.

at a party years ago, "Geez! How much alcohol did you add to this?" in reference to a 4.5% stout I made. that guy may have been one of the guys that tried to beer bong a Barley Wine.

My neighbor will always say how "high alcohol" my beer is when it's typically 4.5-5%. That said, he'll typically drink 3 pints in no more than 30 minutes

Haha, no thanks. Though I wouldn't mind if somebody wanted to send me some horn. I'm just learning how to make knives and elk horn makes a great handle.

I tend to horde up all of that I can get for my own knife making. Even though I have not made any in a long time I plan to get set up for it again some day. But just to be fair, my dad also lives in Colorado if you can find him and talk him out of it you can have it. I will give only one hint, look east from Denver.

I tend to horde up all of that I can get for my own knife making. Even though I have not made any in a long time I plan to get set up for it again some day. But just to be fair, my dad also lives in Colorado if you can find him and talk him out of it you can have it. I will give only one hint, look east from Denver.
Lol, ok. That narrows things down I guess. I was joking anyway.:fro:

Lol, ok. That narrows things down I guess. I was joking anyway.:fro:

I think it was a good hint, at least from my point of view.:D Seriously though there is a chance I might come across some horn I could give up. If I do will let you know. More knife makers is always a good thing. If you are doing forge work get some high carbon railroad spikes and play with them. They do not tend to sell well but are a lot of fun to make into knives and play with different forging and finishing techniques.

EDIT: Probably should add something beer related... MMmmm Do not drink beer while forging.
EDIT2: Old files are good for forging and just grinding them out... Skip the beer when doing that one also.

Had a guy tell me the other day "anyone who drinks bud light and only bud light is like a child who will only eat Craft Macaroni and cheese." I thought it a good analogy! Admitted, I have brewed a few light lagers in my day, and enjoyed them very much. Even made a pickle pils w/ a pickle in every bottle.

Agreed forst. "Most of our customers just dont like them" would have been a perfectly acceptable answer.

Unless of course she was just teasing them (and they knew it). I saw a guy order a Bushmills at a bar once and the tender made an exaggerated gasp "thats PROTESTANT whisky!" he said.

To me that's just a quote from The Wire...

forstmeister said:
See, this is the kind of stuff that bothers me. I love craft beer as much as the next guy, maybe even more than most. But when I encounter servers and bartenders who look down their noses at people just because they happen to like light American lagers is bad for craft beer. It gives a horrible impression of snobbery to people who are uninitiated in the craft beer movement.

I regularly frequent a gastropub here on Oahu called "Real". It is probably the coolest "craft beer" bar in town. I always hear people asking for blue moon or a number of various BMC products. Every single one of the tenders has a very similar answer. "Sorry, we don't have that. I could suggest something that will be similar though." That right there is how you do it. Typically if the person is wanting a beer still they enjoy the suggested beer. If they still want a "lite" then they offer them PBR tall boys.

They have about a 150-300 bottle list and 28 or 30 taps that rotate rather frequently. Two of their taps are nitro and two are cask beer machine taps. They almost always have at least one hefewiezen on tap and at least one lager on tap. It's a great place to get your BMC friends to try stepping into the craft world.

I think it was a good hint, at least from my point of view.:D Seriously though there is a chance I might come across some horn I could give up. If I do will let you know. More knife makers is always a good thing. If you are doing forge work get some high carbon railroad spikes and play with them. They do not tend to sell well but are a lot of fun to make into knives and play with different forging and finishing techniques.

EDIT: Probably should add something beer related... MMmmm Do not drink beer while forging.
EDIT2: Old files are good for forging and just grinding them out... Skip the beer when doing that one also.
Cool. Thanks for the tips. I figured I'd play around with some mild steel bar stock first, then stuff cut out of old saw blades. It should be fun. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do much forge work, if any. Lots of other projects that need my attention around this house. :)

Had a guy tell me the other day "anyone who drinks bud light and only bud light is like a child who will only eat Craft Macaroni and cheese." I thought it a good analogy! Admitted, I have brewed a few light lagers in my day, and enjoyed them very much. Even made a pickle pils w/ a pickle in every bottle.
Nothing wrong with a box of mac'n cheese once in a while. Generally though, I'd rather have the steak. :)

I regularly frequent a gastropub here on Oahu called "Real". It is probably the coolest "craft beer" bar in town. I always hear people asking for blue moon or a number of various BMC products. Every single one of the tenders has a very similar answer. "Sorry, we don't have that. I could suggest something that will be similar though." That right there is how you do it. Typically if the person is wanting a beer still they enjoy the suggested beer. If they still want a "lite" then they offer them PBR tall boys.

They have about a 150-300 bottle list and 28 or 30 taps that rotate rather frequently. Two of their taps are nitro and two are cask beer machine taps. They almost always have at least one hefewiezen on tap and at least one lager on tap. It's a great place to get your BMC friends to try stepping into the craft world.

Where is this place at? I may have to check them out when I get back from this deployment come October. :tank:

It's not too far from Waikiki. Nice place, the food is as good as the beer list. Really enjoyed that place!

Overheard at John's Grocery here in Iowa City...crowded beer cooler and a few of this years barely legal college students picking out the nights beer, hands already full of bud light and coors light..."oh dude we have to get this one (Bells 2 hearted), it's made in Michigan so it's gotta be good."

As opposed to beers brewed in any other state or country for that matter...I walked out with Boulevard Saison-Bret, La Choufee Houblon and some Framboise for the wife...I spent more on 3 bottles of beer than they spent for their whole night...maybe it's not a good thing to be a beer snob?

nitrousjunkie said:
Where is this place at? I may have to check them out when I get back from this deployment come October. :tank:

It's down at ward, next to the farmers market in the space that Tropics used to have.

badgerbrew14 said:
It's not too far from Waikiki. Nice place, the food is as good as the beer list. Really enjoyed that place!

Glad you enjoyed it! I love it lol...

It's down at ward, next to the farmers market in the space that Tropics used to have.

Glad you enjoyed it! I love it lol...

I was there when they had a bunch of Cantillon available. To date Iris at REAL is the most expensive single beer I've purchased, but well worth it - luckily per diem is good in Honolulu.

Leadgolem said:
Nothing wrong with a box of mac'n cheese once in a while. Generally though, I'd rather have the steak. :)

That's why I loved the quote. I eat Mac n cheese every now and then, and have a BL from time to time as well, but to say that's all Ill drink is a bit childish. Branch out a bit, try the steak, try the lobster, he'll, try the hamburger helper even. My rule of thumb is; I won't knock a beer till I've had a six pack back to back, then if I still don't like it, ill swear it off.
Enjoying a "Rumbarrelstiltskin" right now, my porter aged for six months in a rum barrel.

I was at BWW (I know, but it was where my friends wanted to go...) And I ordered a pint of Arrogant Bastard, the bartender said "ugh, that stuff tastes like bark much." I had my friends try it and while it was better received than the Wormtown brewery ipa I had at first, they were inclined to agree with her haha.

So I was in the store the other day. I over heard a guy talking about beer. He was a somewhat gangster type. So I slowed down with my six pack of Anchor Steam in hand. He is telling his wife "Hey Babe I'm going to get some crazy beer tonight" he picks up a Left Hand Brewing Co, Milk Stout Nitro. Say yeah this one looks weird. Starts reading it and says Oh that's nasty babe it has like milk in it. I am not getting that it sounds crap. Not sure but I think he just pick up his Budlight. It made my day

Speaking of LH Milk Stout, one of my friends told me he could taste the milk in it.

forstmeister said:
You mean the lactose? Sugar from milk?

Yes, but he was meaning it like he could taste actual milk in it. I've never had a milk stout that tasted like there was actual milk in it.

Pugnax88 said:
I was at BWW (I know, but it was where my friends wanted to go...) And I ordered a pint of Arrogant Bastard, the bartender said "ugh, that stuff tastes like bark much." I had my friends try it and while it was better received than the Wormtown brewery ipa I had at first, they were inclined to agree with her haha.

Wormtown as in Wista? ;) How are their beers?

While at the gastropub, a young hipster walks in and asks the bartender for something like a Budweiser. He pours him a sample of Aloha Beer Company's Lager, a very BMC friendly beer. He tastes it and says, "wow! This has a bunch more flavor than anything I've had before... Do you have anything less flavorful?" The bartender grabs the bar gun and shoots out a sample of water. The bartender says, "closest thing to water we have. Water." The young hipster ends up getting a vodka tonic.

Yes, but he was meaning it like he could taste actual milk in it. I've never had a milk stout that tasted like there was actual milk in it.

A brewpub here has a beer called Rosée d'Hibiscus. The first word denotes the pink color given to the beer by the hibiscus, but I've heard people mention how they can taste the roses more than a couple times.

emjay said:
A brewpub here has a beer called Rosée d'Hibiscus. The first word denotes the pink color given to the beer by the hibiscus, but I've heard people mention how they can taste the roses more than a couple times.

Hehe! The same friend of mine would probably do the same thing.

So I was in the store the other day. I over heard a guy talking about beer. He was a somewhat gangster type. So I slowed down with my six pack of Anchor Steam in hand. He is telling his wife "Hey Babe I'm going to get some crazy beer tonight" he picks up a Left Hand Brewing Co, Milk Stout Nitro. Say yeah this one looks weird. Starts reading it and says Oh that's nasty babe it has like milk in it. I am not getting that it sounds crap. Not sure but I think he just pick up his Budlight. It made my day

I wonder how he would have reacted if he'd picked up a case of Moose Drool?

:D

Back