dry hopped icecream sandwiches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rerobb

Reaction score
So, I had some left over centennial pellets that I put in a ziplock baggy in the freezer door next to the box of ice cream sandwiches. The sandwiches are in paper wrappers, and picked up a slight hop aroma, and a pretty good hop flavor! I was actually quite surprised at how well this tasted. Makes me wonder why no one makes hop flavored ice cream?

There's an icecream place here in central ohio that makes some crazy flavors, I wonder if I could get them to make some hopcream?

I expected to come into this thread and read about some kind of crazy experiment gone horribly wrong.

To my pleasant suprise, this sounds awesome. I might have to try this. :)

I have several pounds of homegrown hops (centennial, columbus, cascade) in the freezer of my kegerator. My wife put a bag of dinner rolls in with the hops. A few weeks later we had rolls with dinner and I was having a terrible time figuring out what was that odd flavor in the rolls. I couldn't decide if I liked it. Then, I recalled where my wife got the rolls. Come to think of it...that could be a brew kit! Just add water!

There's an icecream place here in central ohio that makes some crazy flavors, I wonder if I could get them to make some hopcream?

Jenni's? I freaking love that ice cream place! Might not be a best seller though.

Time to buy a cheap ice cream maker on Amazon, and experiment with some pellets ;)

This is awesome. My local homebrew shop has hop candy. Unfortunately, it isn't very good.

Jenni's? I freaking love that ice cream place! Might not be a best seller though.

That's Jeni's, you blasphemer! One "n"! They have, quite simply, the best ice cream I have ever had, anywhere, ever, period. I live in Toledo and the local Kroger carries a few flavors... it's awesome. However, nothing compares to strolling Columbus and stopping at one of their shops. :ban::rockin::mug:

I'm intrigued and am willing to take the hit. My wife is going to get the ingredients this weekend and I just put the ice cream make jacket in the freezer. I will try the cascade I have first. Any idea on how to put it in? Try an extraction or just put in pellets?

Hop chunkolate chip, or smooth and creamy cascade? Hard choice. I'm sure it'll be overwhelming either way :D

I'm intrigued and am willing to take the hit. My wife is going to get the ingredients this weekend and I just put the ice cream make jacket in the freezer. I will try the cascade I have first. Any idea on how to put it in? Try an extraction or just put in pellets?

Steep them in the ice cream mixture as it is being heated. That way you draw some of the flavor and aroma.

Yes Jennis, you would have to be careful with adding hops to the icecream, as my sandwiches picked up a noticeable flavor just from being next to the hops is the freezer. Don't think it would take much adding it directly to the mixture.

This train wreck is happening. I mixed it up and it is sitting in the fridge for an hour or so then I will put it into the machine. I used a simple vanilla recipe but I used the Cascade hop extraction I made instead of vanilla.

Here it is, hop flavored ice cream. I put 1/4oz of cascade hops into 1 cup of vodka and soaked it. I filtered out the hop material and added some of the extract to the ice cream mix. I started with 1/2tbsp but added till it tasted right, about 2 1/2 tbsp. It ended up very creamy. It has a slight aroma of hops but has a pretty good flavor of hops but I wouldnt say it is at all overwhelming. I made this expecting to throw out the results, but it is actually pretty good. It does have a kind of odd mouth-coating oil like effect but all in all it is a success.

IMG_1695.jpg

I love the garnish. :D

Kinda fun when you stumble upon something like this, eh? Good job following through to see what you could do with it!

Back