6 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowDrains

Reaction score
Is 6 weeks to long for beer to be in primary. My recipe calls for 1-2 weeks primary 2-4 secondary and I was thinking of skipping secondary.

No its fine you can do it either way rack it if thats what you want to do or leave it in primary.

Cool thanks this is my second brew I have an amber ale that I'm bottling today or tommorow and try to hope its carbed up by Super Bowl

patthebrewer said:
Nope not too long......actually leaving it in the primary is safer.

Yeah that was what I was thinking I transferred my first brew seemed like it stirred things up quite a bit

300RUM said:
I would just do 3-4 weeks primary, 6 would be fine but I don't know if there's anything to gain

I was just going with the long end cause everything I read on here says give it time

You only need to give things time if they're not quite right. If you don't have off-flavors and you don't have a big and/or complex beer that needs time to meld the flavors, waiting longer doesn't really get you much. Irish blonde should be great to bottle at 3 weeks.

gelatin said:
You only need to give things time if they're not quite right. If you don't have off-flavors and you don't have a big and/or complex beer that needs time to meld the flavors, waiting longer doesn't really get you much. Irish blonde should be great to bottle at 3 weeks.

Sweet thanks

I would mention the caveat that more time may help clarity. You can also look into cold crashing or using gelatin finings if the beer is where you want flavor wise but isn't there clarity wise.

Is 6 weeks to long for beer to be in primary. My recipe calls for 1-2 weeks primary 2-4 secondary and I was thinking of skipping secondary.

Looking at the NB recipe I don't really see the need for you to use a secondary for this beer. 3-4 weeks in the primary should be just fine. You can always try cold crashing for 24 hours to help improve the beer clarity instead of going to a secondary.

Back