new to smoking meat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
i bought a side firebox smoker and so far I have smoked a meatloaf, pork butt, sausage and ribs. every one of them has been good, except the pork butt it came out to tough to pull.

do you use the same thermometer for smoking that you are using for brewing? Are you leaving the probe in the meat while it is in the smoker Or are you measuring the temp near the meat?

I use a probe while I'm smoking meat, not the thermometer I use to brew.
Your pork butt was tough for one of two reasons: either it cooked too fast, or it wasn't cooked enough. The connective tissues break down at a higher temperature than is required for the meat to be "safe" so typically pork butts are overcooked. Since they're cooked very low and slow, it doesn't make them dried out or burned.

What temp was your butt when you took it out of the smoker?
I pull mine at 190-205*, depending on feel.

-Mike
Lakeside Smokers

Hi

If you are doing pork, poke it when you think it's done. If it's not falling apart soft, cook it some more. If you are worried about drying it out to much, slop a cup of hot sauce on it :drunk::drunk: (or what ever marinade you are using)

Bob

Get a remote probe thermometer so you can monitor it without opening. They make dual ones so you can monitor the meat and grate temp which is a good idea since the one that comes on most coolers don't work very well

All those tests work, pulling the bone etc, but I just use this, with two probes in two spots I get accurate read. For brewing I use an instant read handheld. I am not an open the smoker a bunch kinda guy.

Screenshot_20210608-081322_Samsung Internet.jpg

i bought a side firebox smoker and so far I have smoked a meatloaf, pork butt, sausage and ribs. every one of them has been good, except the pork butt it came out to tough to pull.

do you use the same thermometer for smoking that you are using for brewing? Are you leaving the probe in the meat while it is in the smoker Or are you measuring the temp near the meat?

I also use a probe smoking meat. Pork should be one of the easier things so smoke so pay attention to your grill temps and I wouldn’t pull it from the smoker until at least 185 (maybe a tad higher) and let it rest. It should reach the 190-200 mark on its own. Then it should shred nice and easy.

I smoke 80 lbs of pork butts every week. We use Thermoworks thermometers. We use bone in butts and go to195°. Take about 12-15 hours at 225°. They are also jiggly when they are done. We use tongs and bear claws to shred. Put the flat side of the bone away from you and remove the fat cap. In the center a mass fat, veins, and other grossness, remove that too. Pretty much anything else is good to go.

Good Luck and remember it ain't done, until it is done.

BBQ, Smoking & Grilling Thermometers & Timers | ThermoWorks

Amazon.com: The Original Bear Paws Shredder Claws - Easily Lift, Handle, Shred, and Cut Meats - Essential for BBQ Pros - Ultra-Sharp Blades and Heat Resistant Nylon: Garden & Outdoor

I smoke 80 lbs of pork butts every week. We use Thermoworks thermometers. We use bone in butts and go to195°. Take about 12-15 hours at 225°. They are also jiggly when they are done. We use tongs and bear claws to shred. Put the flat side of the bone away from you and remove the fat cap. In the center a mass fat, veins, and other grossness, remove that too. Pretty much anything else is good to go.

Good Luck and remember it ain't done, until it is done.

BBQ, Smoking & Grilling Thermometers & Timers | ThermoWorks

Amazon.com: The Original Bear Paws Shredder Claws - Easily Lift, Handle, Shred, and Cut Meats - Essential for BBQ Pros - Ultra-Sharp Blades and Heat Resistant Nylon: Garden & Outdoor
That is a lot of meat! What is your experience with removing the fat cap before you put it in the smoker?
Thanks in advance

Back