Shirron Placement..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Ok, got my new shirron plate chiller in 10 min ago.. this thing is ginormous!:rockin:

For you who use them.. do you place it flat on its back, on its side, vertical, horizontal??? A little confused on how to get the most out of it...

and any other tips with this thing will be helpful.. thanks!

I don't have one, but I can't imagine that the orientation really matters. All of the passageways will be filled with wort/cooling water and flowing from the pressure, so I'm not sure how the orientation could make any difference.

I just clamped mine to my brew table on its back with one of those squeeze clamps. I'll throw a picture of it up when I get home. The only thing I didn't like about it was the el cheapo hoses I bought for the water would kink under their own weight!

yeah i bought some thiiick hose, shouldnt kink.. and i was surprised to see that it kept a siphon even with it trickling through.. cant wait to really use it..

It was incredible to watch the kettle drain hot, and end up in the carboy at pitching temp. I can't believe I waited to get it!

cool water is run through in one direction, while hot wort is going through the other.. they are in contact with each other through plates of copper, thus creating a transfer of heat.. there are many of these plates (8 on mine i think).

Evan! said:
How does a plate chiller work?
Here's a picture that should clear things up a bit.

667c_3.JPG

Back