Drinking some mead for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver02ws6

Reaction score
Got my first ever bottle of mead today. Oliver Camelot Mead, cheap like 7 bucks a bottle, but i must say this is an interesting drink. I cant imagine what really good mead would taste like.

Im gonna have to brew some up real soon.

Austin

It was at the Liqour World about 1 min from my apartment in Richmond KY. They had several meads (4 or 5) on the shelf. This was the cheapest so i started there to see if i was interested.

I will be back very soon to try some more.

I'm not far from you, and I'm not sure what all they have at your place, but we, my wife and I, did not like the one you tried, we do like the Chaucer about $10, and the Springhill Harvest mead, made in Springfield, Ky.- $12-$15, another Ky mead made in Nicolasville $12-$15 for a smaller bottle that is not all that, I took it back after a mouthful, did not know you could do that but... anyway the last one I mentioned, I have tried it, I did not buy it, twice more and it is not for us.

kymeadmaker said:
I'm not far from you, and I'm not sure what all they have at your place, but we, my wife and I, did not like the one you tried, we do like the Chaucer about $10, and the Springhill Harvest mead, made in Springfield, Ky.- $12-$15, another Ky mead made in Nicolasville $12-$15 for a smaller bottle that is not all that, I took it back after a mouthful, did not know you could do that but... anyway the last one I mentioned, I have tried it, I did not buy it, twice more and it is not for us.

It was my first ever mead, i enjoyed it but am sure i could do better on my own time. So by your name im assuming you make your own. If your not far from me and wouldnt mind i would love to sample some, im anxious to try and do my own mead just not alot of time or money right now, im finishing up school.

Austin

I wish I could remember the name of the first commercial mead I ever drank. So I could warn everyone NOT to buy it. The first sip was wonderful but it got really nasty REALLY fast!

I think that's why I'm getting ready to brew my own.

my first mead was a x-mas mead! couldnt taste nothing but cinnamon, it was not good at all! wish i could remember who made it so nobody else waste thier $$! it had a red label, and two cinn. sticks floating in it! now im on my 3rd batch of mead!

Pirtle Winery in Weston MO sells mead. Ive had both their raspberry and blackberry, blackberry was better to me, about $15 a bottle. They also have good wines and I liked their Port as well.

I've had just one taste of commercial Mead, a straight mead from RedStone Meadery. (Side note, I was able to find 19 1 Liter bottles, for 50 cents each. I got the one bottle, to round out my collection. Yes, I know it is only 19 Liters in 5 gallons, but...)

The rest of my Mead tastes, have been either from my own hand, or from people coming into the LHBS, where I work, with samples. (Have I mentioned, I LOVE working at the LHBS?) :D:D

steve

kymeadmaker said:
I too have tried the Chaucer mead and liked it. Chrisman Mills also makes one but I have not tried it yet (it seemed expensiveand came in a small-ish bottle). Oh, by the way, I'm also in KY.

I made a gallon of plain mead back in January and last week I racked it to a secondary carboy (1 gal). It is starting to clear but the airlock is still bubbling about once every minute. When I racked it, it smelled like pure alcohol. We'll see...sometime around August. :)

Mead's really expensive here in the UK, though there are some really nice versions. My first mead was Lindesfarne mead (which is brewed on the Holy Island not too far away from where I live up North), and that costs about £10 per bottle (that's something like $19-$20, I think.) But the best mead I've tasted is Moniack mead, and that costs something like £15 ($30).

So you can see why I want to brew my own.....;)

I was up in Anchorage, AK, USA a month or so ago, and had the occasion to try a bottle of "English Meade" with a yellow label, and some medieval style lettering. It was pretty good for commercial mead. There is also now a meadery on the Kenai peninsula, near Homer, I think, called Fire Valley or some such. They had about 8 different flavors. (Although I don't think they labelled them as melomels.)
I tried the raspberry, and quite enjoyed it, although I think my own is going to taste at least as good. (I'm currently waiting on a couple gallons of apple (which is a cyser, yes?)

Blackbyrd2 said:
I was up in Anchorage, AK, USA a month or so ago, and had the occasion to try a bottle of "English Meade" with a yellow label, and some medieval style lettering........(I'm currently waiting on a couple gallons of apple (which is a cyser, yes?)

That sounds like virtually every bottle of mead in the UK....hehe!

mead.gif

BottleMead.jpg

pic_27.jpg

Just a few examples.....
:tank:

Yip, that's a cyser.

Latest posts

Back