Pear flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddylars

Reaction score
Hi,
Im thinking of brewing a lighter beer, maybe a blonde ale, or a saison and Id like to figure out someway to get a nice crisp pear flavor in it. I think I'll just try some Bosch pears in the 2nd. Does anyone have any thought on this? Thanks a lot!
-Lars

A nice spicy and drier ale would probably go really well with the crispness of the pears. A search through some of the older threads on the site showed a lot of people favoring using them in a cider instead of a beer. Maybe have a look through the recipe section to see some of their suggestions. Only way to know for sure is to try though! I'm definitely curious though since I dig pears...

Hi,
Im thinking of brewing a lighter beer, maybe a blonde ale, or a saison and Id like to figure out someway to get a nice crisp pear flavor in it. I think I'll just try some Bosch pears in the 2nd. Does anyone have any thought on this? Thanks a lot!
-Lars

If you want to try it...

Ferment with certain British ale yeasts at 68F and you'll more than likely get what you're looking for.

You may want to look into White Labs yeast WLP023.

StAnthony B nailed it. The pear flavor from fruit isn't likely to remain in the brew after it's fermented. You'll need a yeast strain that produces pear flavored esters.

I've seen recipes for Duvel clones that call for pear flavoring, but I think that was before Duvel yeast was available. Try culturing some from a bottle or get some Wyeast 1388 (I think that's the one). Skip the flavoring though -- keep it real!

not sure how to do it, but several years ago I had some pear cider that was on tap at a local bar and it tasted great... I did have a really bad hangover the next day... :-(

I've gotten a lot of pear flavors from two yeasts I've used so far, the duvel strain, which was mentioned earlier, and s-04. I did a side-by-side with s-04 and wlp023 on the same wort, and s-04 tasted like it had pear juice added. crazy.

So muddylars have you tried any of the above ?? Just wondering because im about to do a Pear Stout with the Thames Valley II Yeast from Wyeast .....

Any good result trying to get the pear flavor?

I tired pears in the secondary and using pear nectar as priming at kegging. Turned out very sour, undrinkable. Probably due more to contamination somewhere along the way rather than the pear itself.....

Back