Aeration ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I understand the importance of aeration before pitching the yeast however I made the mistake of waiting too long to pitch the yeaast after the beer was aerated (Damn giants game ! ). I did a split 10 gal batch with a friend and his took off like a rocket, mine fermented but not nealry as much as his. I'm already five days in from orignal pitch date, is there anything I can do to try and increase fermentation ? Thanks for any and all help.

You can rouse the yeast by moving the fermenter around a little. Also you can put it in a little warmer area to get the yeast going again. Neither will help if it's already fermented. Have you taken a hydrometer reading? You friend's may have been warmer to begin with and that's why his took off like a rocket. If that's the case yours might taste better?

You can re-pitch but I wouldn't just hold off you beer may take a little longer to get to where it tastes good

What was your OG, your current SG and what temp are you fermenting at?

When you aerate, you're not superoxygenating the wort as far as I know. You're just replacing the O2 that gets boiled out of the liquid. So you're not going to lose the O2 by waiting. Someone contradict me if I'm wrong.

Back