hef problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teh_pelt

Reaction score
i've been thinking of making a hefeweizen and was talking to a buddy of mine who told me not to do it and that they always turn out wrong. so i decided to do it but i was wondering what some of the problems or issues with them are, and how they can be fixed. so my question is; whats special about brewing a hef that makes it more difficult?

Hefeweizens are one of the easiest types to brew, don't know what your buddy was talking about.

They are pretty forgiving, just watch fermentation temps. Higher the temps, the more banana/clove flavoring you'll get, IIRC. Also, they are good because they taste the best fresh. Meaning you don't have to be patient for a few months waiting for the best flavor :) :mug:

Well, hefeweizens have a lot of little quirks that are easily overcome. It depends on whether you are doing AG or not as to how difficult they are to brew. If you are doing an AG, then I recommend a decoction or 2 step infusion mash.
Plus, if you use a lot of wheat, then you are likely to hit a stuck sparge.

Its also easy to over-hop a hefeweizen.

For fermentation, you have to use the right yeast, and they can be touchy. For example, if you ferment them at the wrong temps, you may get an imbalance of banana:ban: /clove flavors that you may not have been working for.

If you can work past these little nuances, then a hefeweizen is not hard to brew.

I say go for it.

:mug:

I just brewed my first hefe for my wedding and it turned out great. Using a good yeast and paying attention to its ferment range is key, I think. Some strains of hefe yeast (white labs hefe IV, especially) give off sulphur odors during fermentation, which can be scary, but if you keep your fermentation slightly on the cooler side and let it ride out a little longer in the secondary, there's no problem.

BREW ON:mug:

RichBrewer said:
I read the title of your thread and I thought they moved the Playboy mansion next to your house...;)

one could only hope.

alright so its good to know that its an easy brew. since i dont really want a banana, clovish type flavor, and i dont have ac, what can i do to keep my temps down while i'm fermenting?

If you are using a glass primary, keep the fermenter in a big tub of water with a dark t-shirt over the carboy. You can regulate the water temp with ice and evaporation from the t-shirt will keep it cooler than the water temp alone.

I did a simple hef (6lbs wheat, mt.hood hops, bavarian yeast, let ferment) and it turned out great after just one week in primary at 67 degrees. My best advice to is not use too many hops. I've found less is more with bavarian styles.

I'm drinking a hef right now and it is pretty damn tasty (it is store bought, not home brewed). I may have to try brewing one of these after my German Pilsner is in bottles.

Latest posts

Back