henbane tainted brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saemc

Reaction score
Its a fact,many years,but not so many ago people and those generally in liquor production high end before 1900's had recipes with henbane.Henbane is in Nightshade family,containing "Scopalamine"among other crazy alkaloids!..But im wondering if a brew with small amounts of even pre prepared extract would be able to add more scopolamine,less of the other Alks in plant?.Some of the old absinthe recipes are Very well known for having it!!.That's where that early impressionism psychedelic edge may have been brought on in Absinthe drinkers art?.Ever look at "Starry Night"?.The classic one eared artists work came from?.

Anyways..Anyone have any thoughts?

I guess you could add that to a recipe... although I'm not sure what amount would be fatal. I'm not even sure where or how you would even begin to decide what amount is appropriate.

There's a fine line between super high and super dead. Lol!

Here's the wiki on it for more info & links. I'd def tread lightly with that stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyoscyamus_niger Under toxicity & historical usage,it refers to gruit. Maybe you can find a link on the page. There's a link for henbane gruits at the bottom. It goes to a dictionary-more like an encyclopedia-of beer history. It also goes on to discuss how porter began as 3 ales mixed together,called "three threads. A mixture of common ale,bee,& 2 penny ale. Ralph Harwood brewed it into one beer At the Bell Brewery in London.

Back