PID reading wrong temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuttheheeck

Reaction score
I am on the final stages of my herms system, the only thing holding me back is these dam temperature sensors.

I am using a mypin Ta4 style PID controller with a 2 wire PT-100.

Using this diagram I have jumped the terminals from 7-10 and 8-9
3677d1362363867-pid-wiring-trouble-please-help-mail.google.com.jpg

My PID is registering a temp more than 100* off form actual temperature.

Is there any way to calibrate a PID and tell it what 32* or boiling is?

Running out of ideas here,
Thanks

I can only tell you that there is another thread here somewhere breaking down the exact wiring configuration for a two wire pt-100....once its right you'll find there's no calibrating necessary....
I can across the other thread while searching "my pin and pt-100" together.

Should I use PT mode in my pid or use a RTD mode. From what i read on other forms, most PT-100 use 3 wires to account for line resistance.

Update

i am within +/- 5 degrees when i am using the K setting for input and only using terminals 7 and 8

about to run a boil test, more updates to follow

you're right. No luck with it on K setting. I've tried jumping the additional terminals like many forums suggest and that doesn't give me any help.

If your sensor was wired to pins 7 and 8 then your wiring was indeed correct.

Can I ask where you got your sensor? 2 wire RTD probes (pt100 is a type of RTD) are not all that common, typically 3 wire for hobbyist level gear, and if you bought it from a chinese source on ebay there's a chance it might actually be a type K thermocouple!

When you say no luck with the K setting you had a value from it though? These can be very out at boil, I recently did a calibration on my PID setup in work and it was 8C (14F) out at boiling temperatures...

Can I ask where you got your sensor? 2 wire RTD probes (pt100 is a type of RTD) are not all that common, typically 3 wire for hobbyist level gear, and if you bought it from a chinese source on ebay there's a chance it might actually be a type K thermocouple!

When you say no luck with the K setting you had a value from it though? These can be very out at boil, I recently did a calibration on my PID setup in work and it was 8C (14F) out at boiling temperatures...

I was getting a positive reading while only on the 7-8 pin and set as a K. I did buy it exactly how you said, it was cheap (lesson learned). I am considering to just invest on something off auber or an RTD off amazon.

I was reading ~145* at garage temperature

I was getting a positive reading while only on the 7-8 pin and set as a K. I did buy it exactly how you said, it was cheap (lesson learned). I am considering to just invest on something off auber or an RTD off amazon.

Was this in K mode with no jumpers or PT100 mode with jumpers ?

It is in K mode with no jumpers. Getting a closer reading, but still about 15 off. This is consistent with all three therms im using (labled pt-100) but apparently a thermocouple.

Any way to adjust for this difference?

:mug:

My pt-100 sensors were $6 and my my pin pies were 21 and 26 bucks and they are both dead on with my infrared temp gun and my two analog thermometers (well within one degree) mine are three wire.

My pt-100 sensors were $6 and my my pin pies were 21 and 26 bucks and they are both dead on with my infrared temp gun and my two analog thermometers (well within one degree) mine are three wire.

I would agree with this, I have also done alright with 3-wire low cost probes. I would probably buy one anyway, off ebay, as it only be about $5 as augiedoggy said.

As for this probe, have you tried it in boiling water? It might be a conicidence that its reading close to ambient-ish temperatures in K mode and it is a pt100.

I would agree with this, I have also done alright with 3-wire low cost probes. I would probably buy one anyway, off ebay, as it only be about $5 as augiedoggy said.

As for this probe, have you tried it in boiling water? It might be a conicidence that its reading close to ambient-ish temperatures in K mode and it is a pt100.

Thank you both for your help, I plan on running a few more tears with the them as they are. If the reading stays x degrees warmer consistently I will adjust my calculations temporarily but then also purchase some better sensors, or at least a 3 wire Pt100

@augiedoggy where did you find them for $6? I could only find bare k type for that cheap, and I've read there are issues extending the leads with xlr cables like my my setup

Thank you both for your help, I plan on running a few more tears with the them as they are. If the reading stays x degrees warmer consistently I will adjust my calculations temporarily but then also purchase some better sensors, or at least a 3 wire Pt100

@augiedoggy where did you find them for $6? I could only find bare k type for that cheap, and I've read there are issues extending the leads with xlr cables like my my setup

On eBay... I bought two shipped from supplier in china... they took a couple weeks though... I too have the xlr connectors setup with mine with no issues...
Here's where I bought mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111179002321?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It is in K mode with no jumpers. Getting a closer reading, but still about 15 off. This is consistent with all three therms im using (labled pt-100) but apparently a thermocouple.

Any way to adjust for this difference?

:mug:

If you have a multimeter just measure your probe resistance. If it's PT-100 RTD its resistance should be around 100-120 Omh

Back