Saint Bernardus Abt 12 formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
I have recently been drinking alot of Sint Bernardus after discovering a local bar with an amazing selection of draught belgians. The abt 12 is just absolutely phemomenal and I thought it would be something nice to give a try.

I want to create something around 10% to lay down for a year or so and I thought this would be a nice choice. This will also be my first try at a belgian, so I really want to do my homework before setting out.

The basic recipe that I have found comes from an older issue of BYO, and here we go:

St. Bernardus 12

OG=1.103
FG.=1.017
IBU=15
SRM=37
ABV.=11%

10#'s Pilsener malt
3.0 #'s Munich malt
1.0 #'s aromatic malt
0.5 #'s Carafa Special III malt
3.0 #'s Belgian candi syrup (Dark 2) (15 min)
3.5 AAU Wye Challenger hops
(60 min) (0.50 oz. 7% alpha acids)
1.3 AAU Styrian Goldings (20 min)
(0.25 oz. of 5% alpha acid)
Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) yeast

So what I am wondering is should I pitch around 70, let it go for about 48 hours then really ramp it up to around 80 or so.

Also if I am going to bottle should I introduce another yeast and what should my initial pitching rate be.

Shouldn't there be a bit more aggressive hop schedule?

Basically does this recipe look reasonable and what suggestions would you folks have.

Just throwing this out there to get some feedback, having no real experience with belgians, I'm looking for any input.

Thanks

There is a recipe in the Belgian Strong Ale section. I have not brewed it, but am looking for a quad or BDSA recipe.

I think that your IBUs are way too low and your OG is too high..

According to Brew Like A Monk heres the spec for St. Bernardus 12:

abv= 10%
IBU= 22
OG= 1.090
Hops= Target, Saaz
Yeast is pitched at 68 rises to 84 degrees, 5 to 7 days
Secondary fermentation 6-8 weeks at 50

St. Bernardus Abt 12 60th Anniversary Edition clone from "THE BEST of BYO How to make 250 beers..." pg 85. The 60th Edition clone has one additional ingredient: 1 lb of cane sugar (beet). Also they recommend pitching at 70F and letting temp rise over fermentation to 83F. Rack to 2nd fermentor and condition for 6-8 weeks at 50F . Carb to 3 volumes. There is also a note recommending you use Westmalle's yeast to bottle carb with.

How did this turn out? Any updates?

I have been thinking about making this beer and have been looking for a good recipe.

Thanks!

Back