Cleaning Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zefbarnes

Reaction score
Can I use a restaurant grade dishwasher to clean my beer bottles before bottling.

I have done the following:
1. Rinsed each bottle in hot water immediately after pouring.
2. Soaked in hot water and baking soda to remove labels.

I am out of the cleaner my kit came with and the brew store is closed on Sunday. I was planning on bottling tomorrow. If I run the bottles thru the dishwasher at the restaurant I work at will this be antiquate?

Will the water get up into the bottles? I would say they are probably clean enough if you did a good job when removing the labels. Make sure you sanitize them well.

You can sanitize by heating them up in oven. If you do this be careful plz.

Sanitizer rinse (Star San) and 10 minutes to drip dry, then bottle. Looks like you already did all the hard work, no sense doing it again.

I have no idea if a "restaurant grade dishwasher" has a heated dry cycle which would traditionally sterilize bottles in a dishwasher.

I just cleaned a bunch of bottles. A soak in hot water with Oxyclean, peel the labels, scrub with Scotchbrite, rinse well and done. Didn't take long at all.

Two types of commercial washers.

Temperature sanitizers and chemical sanitizers. They will both work, but I would give the bottles an added rinse to get out any spot free rinsing agents that might remain.

Use Starsan before bottling and you are good to go.

bosco

My home dishwasher has a sanitize cycle. I suppose it uses hot water with the heating coil to get the temperature up to sanitizing temp (don't know what that temperature is though.)

My home dishwasher has a sanitize cycle. I suppose it uses hot water with the heating coil to get the temperature up to sanitizing temp (don't know what that temperature is though.)

A quality commercial washer will boost the water temp by as much as 70 degrees. That is way hotter than my home dishwasher gets to.:mug:

bosco

before I bottle. I boil my bottles in plain water, amazing how much stuff comes out of the bottles, even after they have been cleaned and rinsed

I read the instruction manual that came with my dishwasher and it states that on sanatize cycle it heats the dishes to 190 F for 20 minutes, that's even over kill for sanatizing your beer bottles. I do it quite often but it's usually faster for me to just dunk e'm in star san so I don't have to wait on the dishwasher. I'm clueless as to why more people don't sanatize bottles in the dishwasher.

Back