240v ssr on 120v build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyfernandez

Reaction score
Any harm in using an SSR such as this in a 120v build? I might be able to get a few of these for free, so hoping I can actually use them. It looks like the ouput is rated at 240vac where as the SSRs from Auber are rated from 90-480vac.

Thanks!
Ty

No problems that I can think of. Those are just rated to break a circuit with a voltage up to 240.

I strongly suggest you avoid the cheap SSR's from China that are on ebay. Stick with quality manufacturers like Crydom.

That said, it is perfectly acceptable to use a 240VAC rated SSR on 120VAC.

Another suggestion would be to look for "zero crossing switching". This isn't necessary, but it does make the SSR's job a little easier.

FWIW, I'm an EE that specializes in power conversion. That doesn't mean I don't screw things up on occasion, though (there's a reason I picked "MagicSmoker" for a name :D ).

Would there be any advantage to using a 240VAC rated SSR vs a 120VAC or variable rated SSR? Similar to using a 40A ssr that would create less heat than a 25a SSR when used to control a 2000w 120v element.

Might have to try an find some Crydom SSRs, they ain't cheap though :)

Latest posts

Back