dead bee in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I brew outdoors on a propane cooker, which invites some risks, as I discovered today.

I am racking to the secondary, when I discover a small honey bee floating on the top ... I suspect he got boiled up a few weeks ago !

My question is - should I worry about this ? This is a Brown Ale which I am going to serve at a neighbor's 50th birthday

Comments ?? Has anyone else discovered foreigners in their primary ?

If the bee actually jumped in the wort and was boiled for a while, i really doubt it would have any effect.

Like death said, you just made a honey brown ale is all! :)

Nothing you can do but drink it! If he got himself boiled, he's sanitized. A little bee-protein will just add to head retention ;)

Let your neighbor drink it first and see what happens. don't tell him you named it "dead bee brown."

Bees are a problem for me. :D

BCB-Logo.jpg

Well I knew by the subject line that EdWort would have something to say...;)

Flying critters is just one of the reasons why I moved my stuff inside.

If a worm can lay at the bottom of a bottle of tequila, why can't a honey bee take a dip in some boiling beer? Now that's a novel idea. A bee at the bottom of your beer bottle....

Flies are my problem on brew day. They just love sweet wort. I fished out a couple from my Flying Dog clone boil yesterday. It is not the first time and my beers have come out fine.

Back