5.4gal Pin Casks Geemacher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
GEEMACHER, LLC. | Stainless Steel Kegs for the Brewing Industry

So I've been thinking about getting one or two of these for myself at home. I figure I can brew a beer cask it and then have a party with the beer dry hopped in the keg or something. I've filled one of these at a brewery and I just think they're cool as hell. They go for $120 so they're not horrible prices. Only thing is currently they are out of stock. I have a quote and it appears they will sell in small quantities to individuals. I emailed them through my school address and mentioned I saw them at the brewery I work part time.

Anyone have one of these, or something like it at home?

Did you find anyone who has the pins in stock? I also heard of a place that customizes the pins with your name/logo/whatever.

If anyone has any info on who actually has these for sale please email me at [email protected]

Cheers.

I have a Pin Cask from Geemacher and am super happy with it. We use it for parties and get togethers every month or so. Even thought they are from overseas they are great quality.

Geemacher is also a great company to deal with, FedEx lost my pin cask when they shipped it out to me. Both myself and Geemacher were in contact with FedEx until they officially deemed it lost. When FedEx said that Geemacher overnighted one to me. I would not hesitate to order from them again in a second.

I have some pictures of my cask when I got it in my gallery, but I also have a lot more if you want just let me know.

Chromados

I'll be ordering the cask widge from him. I actually just won a very nice looking beer engine from a buy selling in the UK. The shipping is up there but it is still over $150 cheaper than buying a reconditioned one here in the US.

I'm jealous of the beer engine ;)

The cask widge looks like a great idea for serving from the beer engine... I wonder if you can hook a breather up to it?

Do you know who Alex Hall is? It may be worth getting in touch with him once you have the beer engine - he has access to spare parts and such should you ever need them.

-Jay

I do believe a breather can be hooked up to the cask widge. I plan on just reworking a low pressure LP regulator to run off my co2 tank when I have a cask up and running.

I bought a low pressure propane regulator (without the hose) made by Camco off fleabay for $15 shipped for use as a breather as well.

As an aside, I bought a plastic firkin from UK Brewing. The Cask Widge is next on the to buy list, perfect for a keger- (strike that) caskerator. The firkin appears to be well made. I hope to put it to good use within the next two weeks.

I just got my bungs and cask widge system last week. I ordered from UK Brewing supply.

Today I went and picked up low pressure LP regulator and added a 1/4" nipple IN and 3/8" nipple out. The 3/8 is the perfect size as it matches up with the barbed nipple on the cask widge breather. So for $20 with the cost of the regulator and the barbed nipples I have a cask breather.

I will be giving this thing its first official run at my graduation party in a few weeks. I have an ESB fermenting that I just brewed on Friday. I will be racking into my cask sometime next week and just allowing the residual extract to build carbonation. I've used SO4 so much in ales of this gravity I have a good feel for how it attenuates for me now.

I just got my bungs and cask widge system last week. I ordered from UK Brewing supply.

Today I went and picked up low pressure LP regulator and added a 1/4" nipple IN and 3/8" nipple out. The 3/8 is the perfect size as it matches up with the barbed nipple on the cask widge breather. So for $20 with the cost of the regulator and the barbed nipples I have a cask breather.

I will be giving this thing its first official run at my graduation party in a few weeks. I have an ESB fermenting that I just brewed on Friday. I will be racking into my cask sometime next week and just allowing the residual extract to build carbonation. I've used SO4 so much in ales of this gravity I have a good feel for how it attenuates for me now.

I am on my second firkin using this system. I am rotating two plastic firkins from UK Brewing. It's a really nice piece of kit.

I try to rack with one Brix remaining.

69f2b0fc.jpg

4900cf32.jpg

That is a sweet setup you have there. I'm building a ferm chamber/cask cooler in a week or two that will have a shelf for my clamp on engine.

Did you build that with flashing for yourself, or was that a single engine cabinet unit that you bought? Your setup is giving me more ideas as to how I'd like to construct my chamber.

That is a sweet setup you have there. I'm building a ferm chamber/cask cooler in a week or two that will have a shelf for my clamp on engine.

Did you build that with flashing for yourself, or was that a single engine cabinet unit that you bought? Your setup is giving me more ideas as to how I'd like to construct my chamber.

I bought the Angram CO half-pint engine with the stainless steel enclosure off eBay. I am told that the enclosure was a custom job. I will post some pics of the enclosure this evening.

There is an Italian craft beer "gastropub" in Philly with a triple pull that is enclosed similarly.

The beer hasn't gone off using this set-up. I keep the temp set at 50℉ to keep the CO2 in solution as much as possible while a firkin is tapped for a month. During this time, I haven't sensed any change in condition before it finishes.

I use Fawcett MO and GP which really shine in a cask ale.

Can someone clarify how the low pressure propane regulator works as a breather. Seems like you have CO2 hooked up to it. So it must close off and only open just slightly when the beer is dispensed? Does this have to do with the diaphram only opening under a slight pressure differential? What psi do you have to set the CO2 at for this to work. Guess i want to learn more about low presure regulators and why it wouldn't just stay open?

thanks for educating me.

I've been thinking of going cask but always worried about spoilage. A month is a good time to have a cask stay fresh so I'm interested again. I travel to the UK now and then and will start looking for a beer engine or two to bring home with me in my luggage.

As far as I understand it, it doesn't really matter what PSI you have your tank at with a low pressure regulator. Only the .5psi or 11" WC will be on your beer. So as long as your hand pump is more than 11" above your serving line it won't cause leakage. When the beer is pulled out it allows more of the CO2 fill the cask through which is hooked up to my low pressure regulator at the cask widge venting hole.

The beer hasn't gone off using this set-up. I keep the temp set at 50℉ to keep the CO2 in solution as much as possible while a firkin is tapped for a month. During this time, I haven't sensed any change in condition before it finishes.

I use Fawcett MO and GP which really shine in a cask ale.

I have to pick up some GP next time I do a bulk order. I love MO and will be getting more of that as well. My most recent ESB that will be racked into the cask today was made with some left over MO, Briess 2 row, munton amber, and a touch of extra dark crystal. I love amber and brown malts for stouts and bitters, it has a real nice biscuity malt flavor. I like mine a little more toasty so I use a bit more amber malt that most any recipes really recommended.

As far as I understand it, it doesn't really matter what PSI you have your tank at with a low pressure regulator. Only the .5psi or 11" WC will be on your beer. So as long as your hand pump is more than 11" above your serving line it won't cause leakage. When the beer is pulled out it allows more of the CO2 fill the cask through which is hooked up to my low pressure regulator at the cask widge venting hole.

I have my regulator set between 2 and 3 PSI in keeping with a recommendation not to exceed 5 PSI (I think I got this from Jim's Beer Kit).

Back