Secondary Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first batch is an English Bitter that has been in the secondary fermentation for 9 days. I noticed about 4-5 days ago, that a small layer of krausen had formed and it has grown every day since. It is not much, in fact it doesnt even cover the entire surface of the beer, but it was enough to alarm me. I didnt think any of this should form during secondary. Also, like I said it has been 9 days, and the beer is not noticeably any clearer. Is there anything I need to be worried about?

I've had krausen in the secondary before. For me, it's been when I transferred too early, or if the yeast was sluggish because of cool temps. I've had primary fermentation take up to two weeks because it was down at the lower range of the yeast tolerance.

Basically, if it still smells like beer then I would not worry.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your beer will clear up a little more once in the bottles anyways. Did you leave the yeast slurry on the bottom of your fermenter?

The primary fermenter? Yes, I tried to leave out as much of the settled particles as possible. Obviously, some made it through, but I tried to leave as much as possible.

Yeah, I got a little krausen in my secondary, it's been about 5 days now.(Sweet Milk Stout) This is my 1st time using a secondary. Called my LHBS and they said nothing to worry about. I had an active prim. ferm that was done in 3 days. Waited 4 more days then transfered. Let us know how it turns out. RR

I had a krausen in the secondary with my wit with wpl400 yeast. The krausen never dropped. FG was 1.011 though.

I wrote a post about his earlier. My secondaries both form a layer of bubbles on the top of brew. NOt to sure why, but someone suggested it was a layer of Co2 making its way to the top. My esb has been in there two weeks and there seems to be more bubbles everyday. Your s may/ may not be simmilar so it might not be krausen, they both smell fine so im sure its not an infection.

Back