6 hours after first ever brew and I have the "I wish I had done that..."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thummel1

Reaction score
Well, it is done and beyond me now. I'm putting my faith in the yeast and hoping for the best. But... I still can't stop from pondering on a few upsetting things that happened during my first brew.

1) I used dry yeast. I decided to rehydrate the yeast, spur of the moment and this process probably didn't go as well as I had wished. We boiled the water as described and let it cool to around 90-100 degrees before adding the yeast... what scares me is looking back I forgot cover the measuring cup with the water before adding the yeast. It sat in open air for upwards of 30-45 minutes...

2) Once the yeast was hydrated I did use saran wrap to cover it, but come time to pitch the yeast I did not stir, agitate, or do anything. Rather, I just poured the solution into the fermenter and sealed it up leaving the sediment at the bottom of the measuring cup (or likely billions of yeast cells)...

Not much I can do now other than learn from my mistakes. I just hope enough yeast cells made it to properly ferment my beer! Any thoughts?

Relax brother,
This will not be the last thing you rush through or forget to do and it will all end up as beer.

yeast are quite amazing. They have been making beer for us for thousands of years, dont worry and let them do what they were raised to do :) it will all be fine

Back