Planning a Dortmunder, here's what I've got so far

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Whole foods has started selling DAB, which has me thinking this could be a great summertime beer. I'm liking the flavor vs a german pils that can sometimes bite at me a little more than I'd like.

A few questions to those who brew or like the style
-My water in Seattle is really soft. The style guides call for minerally water. Jamil's dortmunder show mentions that this is over emphasized. Thoughts?
-I chose bavarian lager for yeast just because I've used it once before, is there a more appropriate yeast? Apparently Tasty McDole uses a Kolsch yeast?
-Any other readily available commercial examples? I'm out of range for Great Lakes dortmunder and have not seen the ayinger anywhere.

PR's dortmunder

Batch size 6 gallons
Boil size 7.1 gallons
Boil time 90 minutes
Grain weight 13 pounds
Efficiency 70%
Original gravity 1.052
Final gravity 1.013
Alcohol (by volume) 5.1%
Bitterness (IBU) 29
Color (SRM) 4.7°L
Yeast Wyeast*2206 Bavarian Lager

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
13 pounds
Pilsen
****34ppg, 1°L
10 pounds
6 Row Base
****35ppg, 1.5°L
1.5 pounds
Victory
****35ppg, 25°L
0.75 pounds
Wheat
****38ppg, 2°L
0.5 pounds
Aromatic
****36ppg, °L
0.25 pounds

Mash
55 minutes, 9.5 gallons
Strike
****Target 143°F
4.3 gallons
154°F
15 minutes (+0)
Infusion 1
****Target 151°F
3 quarts
212°F
30 minutes (+15)
Infusion 2
****Target 168°F
2.2 gallons
212°F
10 minutes (+45)
Sparge
****Target 170°F
2.4 gallons
177°F

Boil
90 minutes, 7.1 gallons
Magnum hops
****14%, Whole
0.5 ounces
50 minutes
Mount Hood hops
****6.2%, Pellet
0.75 ounces
20 minutes
Mount Hood hops
****6.2%, Pellet
0.75 ounces
5 minutes

Ferment
13 days @ 46-58°F

No advice, but I'm interested inhow it turns out. There aren't too many AG Export recipies out there.

I wantto make one of my own, I grew up drinking BBK Export. But I think I missed the lagering "window" for my cold room. Maybe I can getaway with it if I use kolsh yeast.

Hmmm, loose the 6-row and victory and add some munich or vienna.

makes sense. The victory was going to be my twist on the style but might be a bit too toasty.

The six row was just there to boost gravity past my base helles recipe. I was a little concerned that adding more pils would push the beer towards a candy like sweetness.

Maybe I could drop the sox row for some light Munich and reduce or erase the victory. ..

So I bought ingredients today. I went with
9lbs pils
.5lbs wheat
.5 lbs victory
2 oz melanoidin

So there's no munich/vienna and the victory has remained. I'm guessing that the malt profile will be well out of style. I'm considering it an american lager of some sort. I'll update on the progress later. Had been thinking of coloring it up also...

Little late to chime in, but if you want to try a real Dortmunder, Han's Deli in Burien sells DAB in cans, along with a bunch of other German beers.

Heck yes, DAB was the beer that got me thinking dortmunder in the first place and whole foods SUCKS at keeping the beers I want to buy in stock

I Just finished a keg of Dortmunder that I used Wyeast Danish Lager yeast on! Turned out great!Keep us informed on how it turns out.Dortmunder might be my new fav.

Brewday went smooth, got good efficiency. I went with wyeast 1007 german ale, cooled to sixty, pitched my starter and have that sucker immersed in a tank of 62* sanitizer (old starsan that got replaced this batch)

I'm very interested in this recipe, I want to see how that victory plays with the overall impression of the beer.

Here's the final recipe after changing up the whole concept of the beer over the last two weeks.

Grain
9 # Pilsener
.5 # Wheat
.5 # Victory
2 oz Melanoidin

Hop
31g Saaz 4.5 AA- 60 m
31g Saaz 4.5 AA- 15 m
31g Saaz 4.5 AA- 0 m

Yeast
Wy 1007 German Ale

Mash
Single Infusion 156* F
2 tsp Gypsum added to liquor due to soft seattle water

Ferment
17 Days at 62* F
21 Days in Keg at fridge temps

I've decided to call it a blonde ale and leave it at that. A proper dortmunder will certainly be in the works though.

how did it come out? did the gypsum do the trick for the water? i have a hard time getting that really rich maltyness of german beers.

how did it come out? did the gypsum do the trick for the water? i have a hard time getting that really rich maltyness of german beers.

Its in the carboy right now. I think the melanoidin will make the malty aspect come out more than any mineral additions could

Back