lalvin ec 1118 and montrachet: how active are they in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob1484

Reaction score
I only ask because I dont think I left enough room for much of a krausen to develop so if it even thinks about being slightly violent my airlock is gonna launch though the ceiling...
The 3 batches with WL sweet mead yeast didnt do anything but bubble a little and that would be ok, but i've never used the ec 1118 and it has me wondering if i should hook up a tube...

I used Montrachet in a one gallon jug of cider for the primary, and for the first day or two, foam blew through the airlock. I racked on day 5, it's doing well two weeks later, starting to clarify.

Montrachet and EC-1118 are pretty strongly active fermenters... especially at indoor temps.

Give Nottingham Ale Yeast a crack... It doesn't ferment super duper strong -- so it is a bit easier to control/watch progress -- it won't drop from 1.040 to 1.001 in 1-day like Montrachet can in a warm house...

Thanks

John

I just started 3 batches on Saturday, one with Red Star Montrachet, one with EC-1118, and one with Red Star Pasteur Champagne.. The EC-1118 batch started fermenting first and seems to be the most active. The Montrachet and the Pasteur Champagne don't seem to be as active.

In a 1/2 gal growler, there wasn't more than an inch of foam on any of them, the EC-1118 being the highest, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I made a starter for each, and they are fermenting at room-temp (69-71F here).

This will be my first attempt at cider, so I don't know how they will turn out in the end yet, but that's what I've got so far!

well that was a few weeks ago and i didnt have any problems... letting it sit for another couple weeks before I bottle so I havent tried or checked the sg to see where it ended up yet.

In comparison to two champagne yeasts I've tried (Red Star Champagne and KV-1116), EC-1118 comes out a bit on the slower side, and more mellow to boot. Krausen is pretty under control; you're probably all set. 1118 can make a tasty cider, I wish you the best with yours!

Back