Superior Lager Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Hi there,
This past weekend, I started a lager using Superior dry lager yeast. Most of the reviews I've read about this yeast have been quite positive, but I've had a hard time getting any solid info on it. Does anybody know who actually produces this yeast and what strain it is? I've dug up some info that points to Maurivin's Mauribrew Lager #497, but haven't been able to locate a concrete link. How many yeast producers are in Australia anyway?

Thanks!
Chris

Okay, after a little digging I'm pretty sure that Superior Dry Lager yeast is Mauribrew 497. The instructions on the packet were taken word-for-word from Maurivin's info sheet. The weird thing is, Maurivin says the yeast is good from 15-30 degrees celsius, which is 59-86 degrees farenheit! Everything I've read previously says the yeast is good between 50-65, so I pitched the rehydrated yeast at 60 degrees, and moved the fermenter to the basement where it is a pretty steady 55 degrees. After over three days with zero activity, I found this info and decided to move the beer back to a warmer location. After 36 hours at warmer temps, I still had nothing. Maybe not enough time for the yeast to wake up, maybe it was dead, either way I was at almost 5 days with no activity. I repitched , sprinkling another packet of yeast on the beer and closing up the fermenter. 12 hours later there were signs of activity. 24 hours and I had a nice layer of foam, and it just took off from there. I thought about moving it back to the basement, but decided to let it go and see how it comes out. I know the temps seem ridiculously high, but it's what Maurivin's instructions call for, and might explain the slow/non-existent starts with this yeast that I read about.

Chris

lagger yeast is known for slow start. It is not that it is slow though. Two things, the first is that you should make sure you are pitching enough yeast. Two packets is recommended by Fermentis with their Lagger yeast. Mr.Malty.com has a pitching calculator that is nice as well. Two, is that lagger yeasts take a long time to show fermentation because cool liquids hold more CO2. So it takes longer for a krausen to form.

I hear you there. I guess I should point out that I'm using a Mr. Beer. I'm not sure what pitching temp goes into the calculations, but according to Mr. Malty, the 7 grams that comes in a packet of Superior yeast is right on for 2 gallons.
I understand that lagers take time, and don't always show a robust fermentation, but it was pretty apparent that something was amiss. About two days after the initial pitch, the beer had gone completely clear, with the yeast and everything dropping out of suspension. I haven't invested in a hydrometer yet, but one taste test and no hydrometer was necessary to tell that nothing was going on. Judging by the huge start I finally got after re-pitching, there were plenty of sugars yet to be fermented. Guess we'll see what happens. If it comes out horrible, maybe next time I'll get it started first, then drop the temps.
Thanks!

Chris

How did the original beer taste? Was it actually a bottom fermenting yeast, or was it an ale yeast (given the temp range quoted seems way too high for lager yeast)?

I'm having the same problem. it's been six days with no activity, is it dead? I saw that you can use ec-1118 to kick start the yeast. Is this a good idea for lagers though? I've only done ale's and this is my first lager...

primary: a stuck lager...
secondary: oatmeal stout
bottled: strawberry wheat, deep red, Indian wheat, IPA

cheers
Kris

I've used Superior lager yeast a lot and it always starts slow. Take a gravity and I'll bet its going.

It just lays on the bottom quietly fermenting. I've only had krausen with it on re pitches.

I used it in two different lagers. I think both were 1.044. The first I pitched three packs into and at 50F it was a FG in less than two week. The second I pitches slurry in to and it took about the same amount of time. Both were clean, not malt forward and not hop forward. I think it's a good yeast for an American lager. I don't know where to buy it now.

I've been using Saflager 34/70 and found it to be malt forward. I've made some real good darker German lagers with it. I've now made about 75 gallons from ten generations from those first two packs of it. At first it fermented out a 1.052 beer in one week. My later generations are taking about 10 days now.

Wow....ten gens? 4-5 is what I've heard of for avoiding issues. Did you clean the yeast at all between any gens?

I pitched second gen today (of Mauribrew 497, which is Superior Lager yeast) and will see how it comes out. I sampled the first gen today and would have to agree-neutral.

Where are you from?

I'm in St. George Utah.

I've never washed it. I've pitched slurry right from the just emptied fermenter or sometimes I have dumped most of the cake right into a quart bottle and used it a week or two latter. A few times I took yeast and fermenting wort from the bottom of a fermenting lager with my thief. If anything I think the yeast is getting better. I should just dump the jar I have left after transferring the Schwars to secondary. I got my $8.50 out of it and it's time I should acid wash if I want to keep it.

Hi there,
This past weekend, I started a lager using Superior dry lager yeast. Most of the reviews I've read about this yeast have been quite positive, but I've had a hard time getting any solid info on it. Does anybody know who actually produces this yeast and what strain it is? I've dug up some info that points to Maurivin's Mauribrew Lager #497, but haven't been able to locate a concrete link. How many yeast producers are in Australia anyway?

Thanks!
Chris
Did some work on L497 a about 12 years ago. It ferments out very efficiently. Attached are the results. It is used in many places now as a standard dried yeast for testing the fermentability of malts.

Back