Thoughts on Heff... Lemon addition (in Keg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
So there was a thread about Heff and adding Orange peel etc... When and how much. Well it got me to thinking.. I dont' want Orange.. I'd like lemon.

So what if I took Lemon (in the bottle or fresh squeesed) and nuke it (boil) then add it to the keg as I rack from Primary (10 day)?

How do others add "Flavors" such as Lemon etc to your brews? Is my idea on track or am I way off and borderline ruining a good Heff in the process.

I have a party I'm throwing in 2 1/2 weeks, I have one Brewed back in Dec and then the Heff which will be 3 weeks old. Serving both to "Cristen" the new Kegerator when it's finnished.

Your thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
:mug:

forgive me if this is :off: but IMO Bavarian style Hefewiezen is much better than American Hefe and lemons and stuff like that are just not needed.....

He he he.. Alas this is an American Heff.... due to the yeast they included in the kit. I didn't know better at the time I got the kit or brewed it. I'm learning as I go.

I think I've decided to hold off this time. Maybe in April (tax time) for a summer ale.
So for this one I'll have to cut lemon in a bowl next to the tap.

I wouldn't bother boiling the addition.

I'd recommend using lemon zest, as it won't cause fermentation. Lemon juice will have sugar and cause fermentation, leaving only a sour taste behind. The oils in the zest will provide flavor without sugar (which is why we use orange peel for witbier!).

Some people use lemongrass, but the flavor is different so make sure to sample a bit before you add it.

Back