homegrown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerant

Reaction score
This weekend will be my first time using fresh hops ( well- fresh frozen); If I'm using them in the boil do they need to go into fermenter or is this a case where its up to me. I'd rather not just because I'm transfering into a glass carboy. As for dry hopping ( If I decide to) anything need to be done to sanitize the hops?

Hi - I used my own fresh hops for the first time this September.

You'll want to boil your hops as normal for your wort. Then strain before putting in the fermenter.
I dry-hopped my beer using the homegrown hops and had no issues. From what I've read on here, hops are typically not a contamination factor in brewing.

Anyway, that's what I did and it turned out completely fine (same as store bought hops, anyway!)

Good luck!

Hops were originally used to bitter and preserve beer on its voyage from England to India. They are naturally antiseptic and a preservative. I put them in the carboy all the time and have never had a problem. Best of luck!

I've only used wet hops in the boil, never dry hopped, so I have no direct experience, but I've heard others have allegedly gotten infections from them, probably due to the increased water content making it easier to bacteria to get past the antiseptic properties. Counterposed to all the folks who've done it without out a problem, and I'd say there's a risk of contamination, but not a guarantee.

It's also (from what I understand) been established that those old beers traveling to India already had some Brett and/or wild yeast character.

Back