BIAB...new bags found

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
Ive been disappointed I couldn't find that mesh bag that sold out at bed bath and beyond? As we where going threw all the babie stuff our friends handed us down(baby #3 in December), I found a mesh netting advertised as a mesquito net. It's strong, probably large enough dor a keggle, and made of 100 polyester. I just bought some viole and was about to make a bag but I might try ordering one of these too. Here is a link, thought some of you guys mite want to try these bags out. They have different sizes...carrier size, stroller size....and play yard size:D

Whatcha guys think.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2970589

My feeling is that the netting is too coarse. One of the advantages of BIAB is the self-filtering aspect.
I use Voile... it's only $4.99/yrd. and then make my own custom sized bags (15" wide keggle x 19" high is big enough to gather and twist). I have one for the mash, and four smaller ones for various hops additions.
I see a guy makes custom size voile bags for $35 on this forum.
I'm cheap, and own a sewing machine, so I make my own (yes, I sew, and I AM a man).
Having someone make you one might be a good option for you.

My feeling is that the netting is too coarse. One of the advantages of BIAB is the self-filtering aspect.
I use Voile... it's only $4.99/yrd.

I had been using voile material from curtains that I bought from Walmart. A single white curtain (about 55 in by 84 in) cost around $5-6 but now I am wondering if there is better type of voile material to use like you are describing.

The fabric stores carry it... the stuff I get is not a mesh... it looks like bed-sheet material, but with the occasional fuzzy or thread sticking out thing going on. It's like 70% cotton, 30% poly, and is very strong (can easily hold 20 lbs of wet grain).

I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two of the comparison mesh. I would say off the top of my head it's not as fine as the viole material. About the same as the 2x3bag I currently use purchased from the brew store.

It looks like they have them in stock at the stores. Also toysrus /babiesrus looks to carry them too(same store). My local toy r us has them for store pickup.

Wilserbrewer makes some nice custom voile bags for around $20.

+1

I could get the material cheaper (~$6) but factoring in gas to buy the material and the fact that I dont know anyone local with a sewing maching the $20 is a good deal. The seams are great quality and the $20 includes shipping.

Here is a comparison. Pic 1 is the mesquito net
Pic 2 is paint strainer.
Pic 3 is viole

The mesquito netting is a bit larger holes so on second thought it might not work too well. O well, ill get to sewing.

ForumRunner_20121015_104037.jpg

ForumRunner_20121015_104454.jpg

ForumRunner_20121015_104600.jpg

OK....my 2 cents, I went to the local fabric store, and looked at both, the mosquito netting, and voile, I chose the voile, because it is widely used for this, and it was much more fine, after the wife sewed me a bag, the 1st time I went to use it, I couldent lift the bad out of the wort (the ol mans back isent 18 anymore)it held the wort too long, as in it is too fine. the liquid dident drain out of the bag quick enough.I am going back to get the netting or cheese cloth. if I leave behind a bit of grain, its allright because I filter when I drain my 10 gallon pot into my fermentor. I just had to chime in......Tom

what is a good filter material tnsen I didn't filter my first batch and have some floaties. (i used large paint strainer bags) they worked good for BIAB but i got to crazy adding my grains and some made it over the edge and into my pot.

first time doing any kind of all grain beer.
BIAB is a great concept.

what is a good filter material tnsen I didn't filter my first batch and have some floaties. (i used large paint strainer bags) they worked good for BIAB but i got to crazy adding my grains and some made it over the edge and into my pot.

first time doing any kind of all grain beer.
BIAB is a great concept.

A bit of misplaced grain won't make any difference and is not worth trying to filter out...it will settle in the fermenter...RDWHAHB

Back