Magic Hat #9 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilbergrowsalot

Reaction score
Ive come across several all grain recipes for this beer. I would like to try this beer with a partial extract recipe. Does anyone have a recipe for this beer in their black book of brews they would like to share?

can you post the all grain recipe you have come across and would like to be converted?

the website say pale malt and crystal malts, so maybe do like 6lb pilsen DME and steep some crystal 40? hop schedules and apricot additions would be the same as the all grain.

Here is the all grain recipe from the Can You Brew it Database:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-magic-hat-number-9-a-175571/

All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil (6 gallons post boil > 5.5 gallons in the fermenter > 5 gallons in bottling bucket/keg), 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you haved brew this, please reply with your results and discussion.

OG 1045
FG 1011
21 IBUs
SRM 6

90 minute boil

9.92 lbs Marris Otter
0.20 lbs crystal 80

0.25 oz columbus at 60min
14g cascade at 30min

Mash at 152 for 45 min
Mash out at 165 for 15min
Sparge at 170 for 45min

WLP002

Ferment at 68F

110ppm Ca for water used

Tasty reported that he used quite a bit of apricot extract. He took out 2 ounces of finished carbed beer and added drops of extract until he could smell the slight aroma of apricot. Then extrapolate that number over the keg. He also recommends doing this side by side with the commercial example.

Tasty used 63 drops per 12 oz bottle. This is 5oz in a keg. Start with a low amount and work your way up. Jamil noted that he would probably add half of what the recipe recommended and then work his way up. [Editor's note: You can always add extract, but it is tougher to take it out!]

Jamil said that perhaps using a 60 minute boil may help the color as the clone was slightly darker.

Can the all grain be converted to extract? Should I repost in a different area to ask for the extract recipe? I'm new to this forum and is seems that most threads get off topic quick if they are not posted in the right thread.

with the recipe listed above, I would just use 6lb GOLD dme, and the .20oz of caramel 80 for the grain bill

keep hops the same, .25oz columbus at 60, .5oz cascade at 30 min

4oz (or 5oz if you want more apricot) apricot extract added at bottling

that should be pretty close

Awesome, is their a book out there that breaks down the conversion of all grain to extract and vise versa? Someone recommended Designing great beers once but was curious if another one might be better.

Back