Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this today and way overshot the OG. My LHBS must have adjusted their mill because I ended up with 1.053 OG.

I'm going to brew this again and sub some Vienna for the pale malt. Working up the recipe on Beersmith right now.

This is a very lengthy fermentation. It’s been in the primary now for 14 days, and there is still activity in the airlock. I hope to get it in the secondary in the next few days and bottle next weekend. I sure it hope it conditions in time for Turkey Day.

Woodbury419 said:
I've made something similar to this recipe, I use Pilsner malt as my primary base malt for everything I brew. It was a great beer as well!

Do you do a longer boil with pills malt also to help with DMS? I've been doing the 90 with all my lighter styles and it does seem to make a difference....

edmanster said:
Do you do a longer boil with pills malt also to help with DMS? I've been doing the 90 with all my lighter styles and it does seem to make a difference....

I get asked that question a lot with pilsner malt. I do not boil longer than 60 mins unless its Oktoberfest 90 mins). I strongly recommend to boil with the lid off the kettle for DMS to not be present. I've used Belgian pilsner and German pilsner with no DMS issues. I hope this helps you! I also added some wheat for incredible head retention in my recipe. Although I had a different hop schedule and used Wyeast 1056 and fermented at 58-60*f. It had a wonderful slight crisp citrus flavor that complemented the the slight dryness of the beer.

Sorry if this was asked but ill ask, can this be lagered and how about using Czech saaz hops for the 60 min boil start time? Input anyone?

shadows69 said:
Sorry if this was asked but ill ask, can this be lagered and how about using Czech saaz hops for the 60 min boil start time? Input anyone?

Sure can.... You can use whatever hops you want for this brew since it's only a bittering addition.. My last batch I used like 9 grams of 17%AA summit for 5 gal.. Works like a charm :)

Did a half batch of this. What a great beer. Crisp, slight citrus flavor, bubbly, a bit dry. 2 weeks on the primary, and then a week and a half bottle conditioning. Very pleased!

I have been wanting to try this recipe since early spring. I know it is more like a summer beer, but I mashed in at 4:00 PM tonight.
Here
We
Go!!!
Hope it looks like the previous results!
2466078550013575415CwNZkw_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This went very well. All my additions and boil times were right on. I exceeded my target gravity by a good bit. I expected 1.046 and got just under 1.060. I think I may have underestimated my strike and sparge water, but I'm happy. I got 4 gallons of VERY clear wort. Rather than my usual sloppy method, I carefully siphoned from the BK this time. The hose was crystal clear. When I saw it fogging up, I pulled it.
I have seen other people win medals often enough. It is time for my name to get called.

It started bubbling after about 12 hours. Yesterday it was fermenting at a respectable rate, and this morning, still regular airlock activity. The wort was beautiful, and nice aroma coming out of the airlock. I have high hopes for this one!

I was thinking of lagering this as well. My plan is to change the bittering hops to Saaz (60min). Use Calif 2112 lager yeast. As soon as I get time that's the plan.

Well this sounds like a great beer and has such a long following I have to try it. This will only be my second batch first being a IPA but uam going to try tonight.

I'm brewing now and don't have the crystal. I have cascade, fuggles, saaz, and northern brewer to go along with the willamette. Suggestions?

biggc1 said:
I'm brewing now and don't have the crystal. I have cascade, fuggles, saaz, and northern brewer to go along with the willamette. Suggestions?

I think I would go with some cascade. I'm a big fan of cascades. I recently made this with tettnang and liberty and turned out great.

just racked 10 gallons into two kegs after 10 days in primary (no more bubbles). Started around 1.044 and finished the two carboys at 1.004 and 1.005... not as clear as some have reported (i didn't use Gelatin, but I did use Irish Moss at 15 mins left in the boil) but I will see how it looks after another 2-3 weeks of 2nd fermentation in the kegs. I will update with a pic when i put it in a glass.

-Matt

So I'm currently boiling a 5 gal batch and I accidentally mashed with 5 gal and sparged with 5 as well. So i drained it al Ito my boil kettle, what will happen of I do a 2 hour boil? Anything bad? I'm just rolling with it now so whatever happens happens.

So I'm currently boiling a 5 gal batch and I accidentally mashed with 5 gal and sparged with 5 as well. So i drained it al Ito my boil kettle, what will happen of I do a 2 hour boil? Anything bad? I'm just rolling with it now so whatever happens happens.

Actually a two hour boil is ok. This boils out all traces of dimethyl sulfide DMS. DMS is common in light beers, ones that have pilsner malt. 90 minutes its required for pilsners. So this won't hurt the beer any.

Boil away....

Would 14 days in primary (@ 66F upstairs) and 14 days bottled (63F in basement) be unrealistic for this one? I wanted to have a light beer ready @ Christmas for company and didn't look at the calendar early enough.
I would really like to be able to present this one (as the feedback has been all good) to the non-homebrew crowd, but not if it isn't at it's prime.

mongcong said:
Would 14 days in primary (@ 66F upstairs) and 14 days bottled (63F in basement) be unrealistic for this one? I wanted to have a light beer ready @ Christmas for company and didn't look at the calendar early enough.
I would really like to be able to present this one (as the feedback has been all good) to the non-homebrew crowd, but not if it isn't at it's prime.

I think you might get there, but I'd be surprised if they're sufficiently carbed in two weeks at 63*. If anything, bottle them and leave them upstairs at 66*.

jtkratzer - thanks. that's what I thought. The OP mentions a 10 day chill, which seemed to me a cold crash for clarity, rather than a shortened cold condition for flavour. Wish me luck.

I would have it bottled for 14 days upstairs at 70 might be carbed enough then. 63 is to low. Room temp is what you want when carbing.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Home Brew Talk

On the 13 day do a cold crash for 24 hours then bottle and keep at room temp for 14 days. Thats rushing it but might work.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Home Brew Talk

In October I modified the recipe to be Cream of Three Crops - Amarillo. In the mash I put in a bit of C70 and C120, half a pound of honey and hopped only with Amarillo.

Really, really tasty.

B

I want to brew a 2 gallon batch (all grain with a mr beer kit) of this tomorrow. I've divided the original recipe by 5.75 and came up with this:

2lbs 2-row
.5 lbs Corn
.2 lbs Rice
.2 oz Willamette
and . 2 oz Crystal.

Does this sound ok?

I'm planning on a biab that I can do on my stovetop and this looks like a good start.

I want to brew a 2 gallon batch (all grain with a mr beer kit) of this tomorrow. I've divided the original recipe by 5.75 and came up with this:

2lbs 2-row
.5 lbs Corn
.2 lbs Rice
.2 oz Willamette
and . 2 oz Crystal.

Does this sound ok?

I'm planning on a biab that I can do on my stovetop and this looks like a good start.

I don't have the original numbers in front of me, but I did something similar a while back but I think I had more like equal parts rice and cornmeal.

Really, it is such a flexible recipe that I think anything within reason would work.

What you might try is putting the data into Brewtarget and see what it gives you. I'd do it but I have to head out to an appointment and should already be gone!

B

It really is a flexible recipe, and I think your numbers are fine. I'd up the hops to 1/4 oz, but that's only because I wanted a little more when I did mine.

Start with the base recipe, and then try something a bit different. I've only brewed the original recipe once, but I've brewed variants of it several times, and each one has been tasty. It's a fun journey, experimenting for the taste buds, and you can't really go wrong.

It really is a flexible recipe, and I think your numbers are fine. I'd up the hops to 1/4 oz, but that's only because I wanted a little more when I did mine.

Start with the base recipe, and then try something a bit different. I've only brewed the original recipe once, but I've brewed variants of it several times, and each one has been tasty. It's a fun journey, experimenting for the taste buds, and you can't really go wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I will up the hops to 1/4 and see how it is. I ordered 1 lb of corn from northern brewer so I can use the other 1/2 lb on the next batch and tweak it if I need to.

birvine said:
I don't have the original numbers in front of me, but I did something similar a while back but I think I had more like equal parts rice and cornmeal.

Really, it is such a flexible recipe that I think anything within reason would work.

What you might try is putting the data into Brewtarget and see what it gives you. I'd do it but I have to head out to an appointment and should already be gone!

B

Did you use Cornmeal from the grocery store?

Back