Do you use yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I am curious how many of you use yeast nutrient at the end of the boil? Does it really help?

I never have. I know people who do, but I can't tell the difference side by side. I always get great performance from my yeast without it.

I just started using yeast nutrient in my last two batches. I have noticed a significant difference in how active my fermentation is since I have been using it.

i've used Wyeast's nutrient ever since my first batch, so i don't have any non-nutrient batches to compare to. i've never had a stalled fermentation, my FG is always where it should be, etc. obviously this is due to many factors but i believe the nutrients are part of the equation.

the stuff is really cheap - a tube cost $3-4 and lasts me over a year. there is no downside to using it, and it can only help.

for me, the question is why not use it?!? seems like a no-brainer!

I think in general, malt has all the nutrients that yeast need (the exact mineral content in your malt will depend on where/how it was grown). Yeast nutrient certainly won't hurt anything, but probably isn't necessary. Cider or wine might be another story.

I usually put a pinch in with my starters, or towards the end of the boil for a really high OG beer. It makes me feel good but it's probably not doing anything noticeable.

Use to use it, then I ran out and brewed without it. Didn't notice a bit of difference so I never bought anymore. IMO, it's a waste of time and money.

I'll toss in a tablespoon of bakers yeast into the boil for big beers, but apart from that, I don't really in beer. Wines and meads always get a staggered nutrient addition, including plenty in the initial must.

Back