First time brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post on the board and my first brew. I brewed an extract kit that had apricot puree. I was supposed to add the puree to the secondary fermentation but I foolishly added it to the boil. Everything else went very smooth. I was very sanitary with everything and I got the wort down to temperature quickly. I also couldn't figure out how to use the hydrometer so I didn't take a reading at the end of the process. Will the puree that was added early really mess up this brew? Also, is there anyway to take a final reading or is it just going to be a mystery? Before bottling I need to add apricot extract. The fermentation was suppose to e 2 weeks for the primary and then one week for the secondary with the puree. Should I just let it sit for 3 weeks in the primary?

Thanks so much for any help in advance! I really loved the whole process and look forward to future learning and brewing.

It won't mess anything up. You might get some haze in the beer from pectin, and you'll get less apricot flavor, but the beer will probably be perfectly drinkable.

Thanks ONG. I was thinking about getting another can of puree but I also have the extract that I will be adding so I'm sure that's plenty. I wish I can get a final ABV but I doubt its possible without taking a sample. Ill assume its what te kit says it should be. Should I bottle in 2 weeks or give it more time?

Congrats on the first brew!!!

Those types of flavors can be added in the last 10 minutes of boil or in secondary. You will likely get less of an apricot nose in your finished product, however. As for sitting in primary for three weeks, I would not suggest. usually sitting in primary for any period longer than 2 weeks could lead to off-flavors and/or an overly "yeasty" beer. You should go 2 weeks in primary and a week or two in secondary then bottle.

Greg83 said:
Thanks ONG. I was thinking about getting another can of puree but I also have the extract that I will be adding so I'm sure that's plenty. I wish I can get a final ABV but I doubt its possible without taking a sample. Ill assume its what te kit says it should be. Should I bottle in 2 weeks or give it more time?

Assume the kit's OG
As for timing it depends on the yeast, personally I wouldn't look for FG until day 10-12. Verify its done and then let it sit Ana edition all week to clear and then taste. If no off flavors are detected, package it, otherwise give it another week.

You can keep it in primary with no problems.

The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop said:
Congrats on the first brew!!!

Those types of flavors can be added in the last 10 minutes of boil or in secondary. You will likely get less of an apricot nose in your finished product, however. As for sitting in primary for three weeks, I would not suggest. usually sitting in primary for any period longer than 2 weeks could lead to off-flavors and/or an overly "yeasty" beer. You should go 2 weeks in primary and a week or two in secondary then bottle.

I regularly primary for a month then bottle. It WILL NOT produce "overly yeasty" beer. Some yeast strains produce "yeasty" beer, also high fermentation temperatures can contribute off flavors. The only time I secondary is for bulk aging or flavor additions like your apricot purée. Since you added it to boil there's no need for secondary. Some say secondary will increase chance of infection and its not worth it unless its necessary.

if you are going to add the apricot extract then yes I would secondary with it for at least a week. if you arent going to add the extract then you dont need to secondary. leave it in primary for three weeks and check gravity in the fermenter if you have to. no need to use a thief to pull out beer and check gravity. once it reaches FG go ahead and bottle it. secondary is usually only used for adding extracts and flavors like apricot that you said it called for. if you added it in the boil then no need for secondary. hope this helps. RDWAHAHB

Back