Wine club reviews winter seasonals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
Interesting to see the informal wine club perspective on winter seasonals versus what the typical beer fan would say. I have to admit, the robitussin comment is kinda funny. :)

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/11903417.html

Summary for anyone who doesn't want to read:

"I decided to taste-test some winter brews and enlisted the help of an informal wine club of which I am a member."

Stille Nacht, De Dolle Brouwers, Esen, Belgium. $4.65 for an 11.6-ounce bottle. 12% ABV (alcohol by volume). Grade: A-

Weyerbacher Winter Ale, Weyerbacher Brewing Co., Easton, Pa. $2 for a 12-ounce bottle. 5.6% ABV. Grade: B+

Seriously Bad Elf Ale, Ridgeway Brewing, Oxfordshire, England. $6.25 for a 25-ounce bottle. 9% ABV. Grade: B

Bell's Winter White Ale, Bell's Brewery Inc., Galesburg, Mich. $2.35 for a 12-ounce bottle. 4.5% ABV. Grade: B-

Corsendonk Christmas Ale. Brewery Corsendonk, Oud-Turnhout, Belgium. $4.65 for a 12-ounce bottle. 8.5% ABV. Grade: C

Mad Elf Ale, Troegs Brewing Co., Harrisburg. $3.20 for a 12-ounce bottle. 11% ABV. Grade: D+

I couldn't believe their review of Mad Elf. Robitussin? You gotta be kidding. There is a case of that in the basement waiting for X-mas drinking. One of my favorite winter beers.

Winos (AKA wine aficionados) don't have much tolerance for things with flavor. They have spent years training their palates to detect microscopic differences in identical wines.

[As a matter of fact, I was a wino before I learned better.]

Back